We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me find a post....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Help me find a post....

it was regarding Air Transat and stopping over in Puerto Plata POP, it was in the last week or two.

Or, can anyone answer this.... Air Transat leaves YWG at silly o'clock 6am and doesn't get to PUJ til 3PM.... what the heck would you do in POP for that time, I'm guessing it would be around 3 hours.

Cheers, DebbIE

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help me find a post....

Hi Deb,

Is this the post?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k611421…

Post 12 which no one commented on afterwards says

"You may be able to get Transat 176 down and 177 return for March 7th to 14th. $758.22/ pp.Peg to Punta. May be a stop at Puerto Plata. But still s/b there by early to mid pm"

That is the only thing I could find in relation to POP that you posted on.

Checking transat vacations quickly I do see the flight that leaves at 6am arriving in PUJ at 3pm after connecting through POP.

However appears they might have direct flights as well as I checked March 21 for fun on airtransat.ca and they have a flight leaving 730am arriving at 1:55pm.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help me find a post....

Deb, you simply stand i the transit area waiting for da plane to get fueled/cleaned etc.

cheapy travel business as usual.

Mike

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help me find a post....

Nope, that's not the post, the person had said they stopped over in POP and deplaned etc.

The flight/package I am talking about is on March 18th, I called AT and at first they said they had no idea why it would be a 9 hour flight... WTF, anyways, in the end they said 6 am take-off, lands in POP at 12:40 and gets to PUJ at 3 AND they claimed you sit ON the plane for the whole time... I don't bloody think so, I would go stark raving mental.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help me find a post....

its very incomfy but possible, Debbie, i had such flights in my first years, too, sitting on da plane for a couple hours, also walking the lines of the Transit Area in PR, the most comfy transit been on the back in the day LTU Flights stopping in Porlamar/Isla Margarita, as that area there for us transits offered the cheapest smokes i ever found, fantastic cheapy drinkets at a nice bar, so time passed by very well, but i guess such times are gone since long. i also remember 9hrs stopover in transit at Mimai/Fl not allowed to leave da area for a smoke or a sweep of the airport to grab some shi.tty fast food somewhere.

since then i bite da dust and book the expensive direct flights without any stop anywhere, to know i get on the flights to europe 10hrs of food and drinkets services without the need to spend extra hours anywhere without any services.

it finally comes down to "we get what we pay for", and it gets year by year tougher for the packages on a violently competitive market

Mike

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help me find a post....

ain't that the truth, it's a super great deal but don't think I would be sane sitting on a cramped small plane for 9 hours ;-) Back to Air Canada LOL

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help me find a post....

Take the cheapie flight, save the money, spring for the roomy seats at the back, and buy lots of boooooooze, take a gravol and start to read a boring book ( like the on board safety pamphlet), when you wake, you will still have time to stand in line waiting for the bathroom to change into your bathing suit. Oh don't forget to pee while you are in there, or the line up might take longer than your bladder can hold out for!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help me find a post....

Drop, that was hilarious... and I may just take you up on that :-)

Thanks.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help me find a post....

I remember when I first started to travel to the DR, this type of flight was quite usual from TO. You would arrive at POP and half the plane would deplane and you would wait perhaps a hour and continue to PC, it would run in reverse on the way home.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,875 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help me find a post....

Yes I know, Skyservice used to do this but only one way...thought they did away with this crap LOL

sask. ca
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Help me find a post....

Hi Deb,

We flew TS 266 from YWG to PUJ on Feb 18th with a stop in POP. Once all the POP travellers deplaned, they asked the PUJ passengers to depland (with all belongings). We had enough time to for a couple cold beer ($5.00 each), use the washrooms, some changed into shorts, not on the ground more that 1 hr. We were given orange cards, went through some sort of immigration area, bags were scanned and then into the departure area. Passengers with oragne cards were let onto aircraft first, then the departing POP passengers Was a quick flight to PUJ, up about 15 mins then start to descend. Hope this answers some of your questions.