We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
178 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

Will be at PCP for St Pattys Day and wonering do they party it for this big day or do the Domincan people even know what it is. Any help would be great as we want to pack some green wear for the day.

Thanks

Randy

sterling...
Level Contributor
103 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

I just posted the same question an hour before you, and Flip Flop Man suggested googling it. I just did, and where we are staying, it seems our "green" won't be going to waste !

Btw,.... FFM is a great guy who helps everyone on here, and has come to my inquisitive rescue many times this past month, while doing my vacation homework,lol.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,389 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

Randy

Virtually all the resorts lay on something special for all such national days

Animators love to dress up and do something different

Edited: 10 March 2013, 19:50
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,944 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

The only places you will find it being celebrated is in Punta Cana or Caberet/Sosua where there are sufficient expats/tourists. I don;t think many if any Dominican understand the significance of St Patrick's Day nor why should they.Likewise 27th Februray is not a major occasion in Ireland.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,424 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

How about March 17? :-)

Domingo is partly correct, St. Pat's is a big day in Ireland, but is not celebrated the way it is in the USA. In Ireland's history there was a time when all pubs and bars were closed on that day. Now it has evolved into more of a celebration of Irish culture.

In the DR, Jose O'Shay's in Cabarete has a parade (on the beach of course).

As far as an excuse to get drunk and stupid, just about anyone at an AI seems to do that any day of the year they choose.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

there may be some lil extra celebrations at some extremely american oriented resorts, but off resort nobody would notice that there is a special day nor know what it is all about.

for local dominicans it is something completely unknown.

happy travels

Mike

6. Re: St Patricks Day in Dom Rep

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 05:17