We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Springfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Topic
Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

Hello! We are trying to decide which of the following Adult only resort to stay at in July. Secrets Royal Beach(#5 TA), Excellence Punta Cana(#8 TA) and Iberostar Grand Bavaro (#1 TA) are the ones we are leaning towards. We have 3 couples in our 30s and really just want a super nice resort for adults with good food and a relaxing atmosphere. This will be our first time in the Dominican, our only other all inclusive was Sandals in the Bahamas. I have been reading reviews and its getting tough to choose between them. Can anyone help me decide which one might be the better choice, have you been to both? Thanks for any help!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,783 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

Hi

How many nights are you going for???

Springfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

5 nights

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,783 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

Hi again

We have been to both EPC & SRB and if you check out my reviews you will find full details of our thoughts together with links to large photo albums. The photos are best viewed in full screen mode as this way you will see the photo labels

tripadvisor.com/members-reviews/flipflop_man

IBG does not appeal to us

At EPC you have more restaurant choice and more bars whereas at SRB to have a wider choice of restaurants and bars you need to go next door to their sister resort - Now Larimar

We love the beach at EPC even though it does not have a whiter sand that you find in Bavaro - it has a desert island feel to it as you cannot see any resort on either side of it. The ocean though it more for playing in than swimming due t the waves and undertow

The beach at SRB although very nice does have a lot of foot traffic as SRB is but one of the many resorts along that strip of coastline. There is also a lot of commercial boat traffic

SRB is much newer and modern and does have slightly larger rooms

Both are very nice resorts

Feel free to send me a PM with any questions

Cheshire, England
Level Contributor
184 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

Hi Ive been to SRB and EPC - and my vote goes to EPC - as we love the location and the beach, EPC is in a more remote location. The beach is fabulous but the waves are large, more for playing about in than swimming in. Service was about the the same. Food slightly better at EPC as you have more choice of restaurants, but as your going for 5 nights SRB would have adequate choice.

Springfield...
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

Thanks for your help, definitely between EPC and Secrets now!!

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
267 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

I have been to the Grand 3 times and Secrets once. For about the same money the Grand is far superior for level of service, beach and food. You have a choice of only 2 or 3 specialty restaurants at Secrets and we thought the restaurants at Now Larimar next door to Secrets were awful. The beach at Sandals has a lot more seaweed and strolling along the beach there has some sketchy, dirty areas. The only advantage at Secrets is that they have a bigger selection of premium liquors and cordials. (The Grand does have premiums but not as many) Yes, the Grand has a glitzy, not very Caribbean feel to the lobby and lobby bar area but that would not keep me from going there. We will be there again next Nov./Jan for 8 nights.

I can not comment on Excellence but I think it may a bit further from the airport which may be a consideration if you are going for a short stay.

No matter your choice, enjoy!

7. Re: Excellence, Iberostar Grand Bavaro or Secrets Royal Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 06:18