We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sea weed!

Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
sea weed!

Is there a lot of sea weed in the water? The last time we went, the water and beach had quite a bit. I don't remember that from previous visits

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sea weed!

Yes

Georgina, Canada
Level Contributor
369 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sea weed!

Not at all. The areas directly in front of the resorts are groomed constantly.

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: sea weed!

There is seaweed but its picked up

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: sea weed!

Third !,

on what you base your by my opinion completely unexperienced and educationless lines of posting???

the amount of present seaweed is in the area since years beginning on the lowest level since a very long time, and of course a caribbean waters experienced person will always admit that as fact of life Seaweed is Always present on a caribbean beach, even that we received much less than so many others/more expensive Caribbean Destins during the last 24 months.

if seaweed bothers, a caribbean beach vacation should not be considered for the family/couple, as it is simply the same part of itas salt in the ocean's water is.

Mike

Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: sea weed!

It's the ocean, there's seaweed, it's cleaned up..

Appreciate the love Michael

muskoka ON
Level Contributor
1,963 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sea weed!

Funny thing about the beach, there is sand, shells, seaweed, fish and yes, even garbage. You can get sand in the most unusal places (especially if the waves are a little rough), you can step on shells, certain fishies just might take a liking to the bling on your bathing suit, and you just might step on a bit of weed at the shore line.

If you are referring to the seagrass that washes on shore during the night (and yes, even sometimes during the day) resort staff do make an effort to remove it = but it is, after all, the ocean and seaweed will happen, and you will likely see it. If you are concerned about long slimy tentacles of weeds in the swimming areas, have never encountered that in all my trips, unless I went off resort and followed the guys with the spears who were fishing LOL.

Happy swimming

Bugs

Edited: 18 March 2013, 23:00
Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sea weed!

Lol wow! Thanks for some of the "salty" responses! I don't mind sea weed...or sand, or salt. I was just asking if the area was more prone to sea weed. Last trip (this is our 4th) there seemed to be more than I remembered. I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum and I noticed a lot of sarcasm on some of the replies. I agree with another person who said it appears there are some who want to be the

expert and get upset with other posters. I am sorry if my question offended anyone.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: sea weed!

the seasons of 2011 and speacially 2012 provided much more Seagrass(no seaweed, but seagrass in PC) than the 2 prior decades, due the seagrass overflow of the caribbean, present the same time on all caribbean islands. that vaste amount of seagrass floating out there on the atlantic between europe/africa and the caribbean/eastern united states will hang out there for a few years of time and get's washed in in amounts once in a while during that time period, everywhere from newfoundland down to the copa cabana, including the caribbean islands in the middle of that topographic.

you can't predict it as in cas of when it will be present at which island/shore or not, as the forecasts sites do still not show where the sargasso is floating in significant amounts and which way and speed it is moving. heck, they don't get it right to tell us this evening if tomorrow will be a sunny calm day or a tough wind day with heavy clouds and/or rain above the area, so sorry, no forecasts of any value available about the Seagrass of the atlantic ocean.

have fun

Mike

Level Contributor
147 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sea weed!

Thank you. I adore the Dominican Republic! I know such things can not be predicted....just like how the weather will be. I just plan to hope for the best. Can't wait to try out now Larimar!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: sea weed!

We were at the Melia from Feb 27-Mar 10 - neighbouring resort of the NOW Larimar - saw lots of workers raking the beach there so no worries - the beach was gorgeous. Wish I could go back NOW!!