We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

PA
Level Contributor
87 posts
Save Topic
wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

since the wave breaker was built do they have a destinated area of calm water where you don't have to worry about riptides etc? thanks for any info.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

The wave breaker is only about 40% complete. If you swim to the right where part of it is built the waves and undertow is a lot calmer.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,682 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

You mean the pile of rocks that spoil the natural appearance of Bavaro beach??? Leave it to a company that says it is in harmony with mother earth to go messing with it...simply unacceptable. When you mess with nature it comes back to bite you in the azz.

I can see the day when the currents displace the beach they have and deposit the sand on the beach to the north of the property. I cannot believe they were permitted to do what they have. Simply irresponsible in today's world of preserving natural beauty.

Peace, love and whatever they say....provided it makes you money...

PuntaCana Mike

Edited: 22 March 2013, 11:02
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

the crappy piling up rocks is worth nothing to calm down the Ocean, as for undertows it even produces more at specific times, as the Ocean's water has to go somewhere and it also has to be bounced back once it hit some beacharea. they try to deroute things they have no control and no idea about, and i do not believe that they have any permission for what they do there, because the secretary permitting such unthought work, should be in jail for that.

Mike

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,080 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

I totally agree with the two Mike's, let nature take it course, do not mess with Mother Nature....

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

Here, here....they should be ashamed of themselves

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,934 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

Money rules the day!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

Does anyone have a picture of this rock pile?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

as the water has to go somewhere, and it always DOES, you try to protect one beach section means ALWAYS that the neighboured beach section is from then on under the influence of different currents and powers, so the neighboured beach get's eaten by the Ocean and the important corals will at one location miss their formerly present lifeimportant currents/conditions while aside/nearby the corals grown under the prior conditions, will suffer/die under the newly formed conditions. humans try without a real backed up plan to protect 300 yards of a beachstretch, and the final effect of the action is that 3 miles of Beach and underwater wildlife suffer or even die down completely, creating Danger for 10 Beachmiles within just a few years.

Mike

9. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 March 2013, 01:05
New York
Level Contributor
96 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: wave breaker at Hard Rock resort

Are the waves/undertow that bad at Hard Rock? My family is used to swimming in ocean on east coast US where waves are decent which we love but the way I hear it from reviews it's the undertow that is so bad and that is what makes it impossible to swim. Is this being exaggerated? I was at Iberostar Grand Bavaro this past Christmas and found the ocean a little too tame but I would rather have that than not be able to go in at all.