We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Liverpool,England
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Hi I'm travelling to the grand palladium punta Cana on April 17th with my husband and 1 year old and desperately need advice! I don't fancy using the majority of our luggage allowance on nappies (diapers) but I've heard the shop in the resort is really expensive, how far roughly is there an independant supermarket? I've heard about one at the end of the beach but is there a pathway we can use with the pram (stroller)? Also she's just moved from formula milk to full fat cows milk is this available in the resort or should I bring a follow on formula? Do I need to pay for a visa and departure tax for the baby aswell as ourselves? Does anyone have any idea how much extra the family friendly rooms are that supply diapers, baby food etc or an email I can contact the resort on? I've tried this one but had no response acliente.bavaro@palladiumhotelgroup.com

Were not planning on doing any excursions because are tour operator don't do any that allows under two's so have only budgeted to bring around five to six hundred dollars but now I'm panicking that its not enough once were paid out tips and visas and taxes, do you think I've under budgeted? Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated thanks

Siobhan xx

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,950 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Baby is not exempt from tourist card or departure tax.

I will let someone else chime in about the milk issue.

They will respond to your email in due time.

No tours , 500-600$ is sufficient.

Tipping is for provision of good services , you need not go overboard on this issue.

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,677 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Tipping amounts obviously vary, but usually we give a few dollars a day for the maid and mini fridge person, 2-3 dollars at breakfast and lunch, 5 dollars at the dinner buffet. Probably max $10 at the a la cartes.

We also allow dollar or two for each round of drinks, and a tip of $5 for the porter who helps with luggage.

The little village of Cortecito is next to the Palladium properties, but my feeling about milk is that for small children, a change in milk (as every area will have differences) may cause tummy problems so you may decide to look into bringing your own supply of older-baby formula.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,866 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Of the resorts I have been to, they used cow's milk in the tetra pack. They will have milk at the resort, prob not full fat as we know it. Like water in different cities and towns, the milk also varies in taste, it will be hit or miss..

A really short cab ride will get you the supermarket, or if taking a private transfer into the resort, stop along the way to kill 2 birds with one stone. I would bring some formula anyway and some baby cereal for the just in case situations. No path along the beach for the stroller, but there is one at the resort between the resort edge and the beach edge, Been told not that long ago that the grocery store in el Cortecito is no longer there ( that would have been the one next to the resort), there is a pharmacy in el Cortecito.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

new family friendly option at the GP Bavaro

http://www.palladiumaddict.net/blog/gra ... ly-product

This is a special Service available till now, only in GP Bavaro and only in Jr Suite category (daily fee of US20.-). Includes baby meals, diapers, access to a baby care room with changers, freezers, microwave and other features, making easier to handle your baby needs.

Any Junior suite in GP Bavaro can be reserved as FAMILY Jr Suite, no specific location. Can be anywhere in Bavaro and on ground floor or second level.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

if that first link in my above reply does not work ( it did not work for me) try this one

palladiumaddict.net/blog/grand-palladium-bav…

the family friendly option is only in the the Bavaro section and only in a JS room. the family friendly option is great though as they have family rooms located through out the bavaro section that has a fridge that is stocked with snacks for kids and they supply diapers, wipes formula ect for 20 $ a day

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Should you need any supplies for the little one that you can't find on resort or close by I would suggest you speak to the concierge or one of the tour reps and enquire about the free bus to san juan plaza, there you will find pola supermarket to get anything you may need.

Liverpool,England
Level Contributor
19 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

Wow! thanks for replies everyone. I can relax a little more now and start looking forward to my hols x

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
8 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

The pharmacy in el cortecito delivers for free and has baby items. Huggies etc.

9. Re: Advice needed on grand palladuim punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 March 2014, 04:16