We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
39 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

Beware of using your credit card in the departure area of the PC airport. A friend of mine was there a few weeks ago and used his credit card at a kiosk that was selling paintings. His credit card was skimmed and so was another person travelling in his group. Their "cards" were used this week in South America. So be careful.

Bebington, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

Beware of using credit cards anywhere. I had mine cloned in a garage up the road from my house, it was used in Germany and Thailand!

We were in Aruba last year and cancelled my card after visiting a surf shop that handled my card suspiciously.it was a chip and pin transaction but they moved the card to the side of the till and out of my sight, before presenting the machine.

What was surprising was when I rang to cancel it the bank kept trying to talk me out of it.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,623 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

It really can happen anywhere. If I am going to use my card I try to keep it to well established businesses and even then I am wary. While I am not a fan of carrying large sums of cash, I do so when we are on vacation. Lock it in the safe and take out only what I intend to spend.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

and most likely the Data of your card been not stolen at the airport shop, the scumbags today do such on the wide and long highways of cyberspace, very most likely nobody at that shop knows anything about that scam nor is involved in it, it could have happened the same way back home at your local diner around the corner, without their involvement in the theft.

the use of CC's bares it's risks worldwide, everywhere, as such thieves steel the needed data somewhere on the wide and long highways of cyberspace.

but still, the CC is safer than carrying large amounts of cash around in a foreign country/in the homecountry, and at the moment you realize the theft on your CC statement you will get it solved easily by your cardprovider. i had such myself, too, traveling the uSA with the CC's, been always solved quick and painfree by my bank/CC provider.

of course, if you talk about small sums of purchases, just a few hundred dollars per weeks stay for some small souvenirs or drinkets or food etc etc, here i would advise to pay cash with the pocket money, do not use a CC for every single small amount purchase, as such inreaces the risk to get once in a while be trapped in such theft. don't blame the place where you used your card, they very most likely have zero to do with it.

Mike

Elmvale, Canada
Level Contributor
170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

Agreed it can happen anywhere. Mine was done in Niagara Falls Ontario and I did not realize for over 2 weeks.

columbus ohio
Level Contributor
5,458 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

I use CC`s sparingly while travelling, and only use one card that I have reported to the provider that I will be in a certain place. I give them my dates of travel and name only one city where it might be used.

My provider also contacts me if 3 transactions are made in one day

6. Re: Beware of using credit cards at PC airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 March 2014, 04:17