We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
120 posts
98 reviews
Save Topic
Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

Hey folks - I'd love your input if you have been to BOTH Aruba and Punta Cana, even Cancun.

One of the things I love about Aruba is that you have many dining options, without completely going broke. Its the same thing I dislike about Cancun - you are primarily at an All Inclusive and at the mercy of the buffet quality. From my research, Punta Cana seems to be more inline with Cancun. Would you agree?

In addition, in Aruba I felt safe leaving the property, going shopping, beach combing and to restaurants. While I didn't feel threatened personally in Cancun, we've all heard the stories and been warned of night time off-property activities. How does PC compare?

I've heard so many nice things about PC but then there are the negatives - the language barrier for Americans, the buffets, the lack of shade on beaches, the inconsistent service, feeling captive on the resort. I realize if you ask enough people the opinions will vary widely.

So - basically - if you tend toward the Aruba style, how does PC compare?

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

All I will say that you will be more 'captive' in Punta Cana than in Cancun. Also Punta Cana is pretty much all inclusive 'paradise', while in Cancun you have different options. Finally to me Aruba is completely in different class than either Cancun or Punta Cana.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

sig is spot on with the analysis.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,365 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

PC, like Cancun, has many AI resorts. But you don't have to stay there.

or even if you do, you can go out to many places to eat if you wish, especially in Cancun.

Vero Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,559 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

I've been to all three destinations and prefer Punta Cana. The AI resorts in PC have many options for dining, be it a la cartes or buffets, plus there are several off resort restaurants, some even in walking distance from your resort, directly on the beach, depending on where you are staying. There are also water taxis.

I have always felt safe going off the resorts to mingle with the locals, never felt captive to the resort. With that said, PC is definitely not like Cancun with its access to Playa Del Carmen or the ruins. I usually stay at the Palladium, as they have the little town of El Cortecito directly aside of the Royal Suites Turquesa. We walk right over to it on the beach. Punta Cana is not as commercialized as Cancun; it retains more of its' unspoiled beauty and is very tropical. Aruba was very nice, but just didn't appeal to me the way PC does.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,387 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

I've been in all 3 places and love all except Cancun (I prefer Riviera Maya). Number one will be Aruba for me because of freedom of choosing many options for dining and beaches, convenient driving and free beach parking all around the island. We've been in all incl once with kids but now renting condo or villa. PC will be second on this particular list when we just want to be a beach bums (actually I prefer Bayahibe area or Samana). And Cancun will be very far if not at all. I don't like high rise hotels and Cancun beaches.

Minnesota
Level Contributor
564 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

Have done all 3. We would pick Aruba. You can hop on and off buses to get around. Good snorkeling on your own. We rented a side by side ATV, and drove all around the island - the "other side" has caves, pounding waves,.... Aruba has safe drinking water. Fun to sit at a restaurant downtown and see some of the huge cruise ships leave at night.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
629 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

I have been to all 3 including Riviera Maya. Punta Cana is not like Cancun.I am surprised you felt you had no other options but your All Inclusive in Cancun being it is very commercialized with lots of options on the strip.Riviera Maya is less commercialized than Cancun and more laid back.

Now if you felt that way in Cancun you will definitely feel that way in Punta Cana which is a lot less commercialized and more resort oriented.

While Cancun and Punta Cana do compare more in All Inclusive Resort packages.Aruba differs with more of an alacarte atmosphere but could be very pricey.If price did not matter I would choose Aruba hands down.Second choice would be Riviera Maya/Cancun and PC last.

8. Re: Comparing Aruba and Punta Cana. Is PC more like Cancun?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2014, 06:15