We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire

lake district
Level Contributor
38 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
car hire

will be in bavaro beach hotel rui bambui may 2013 for 2 weeks and was thinking of hiring a car ,does anyone have any tips ie ..are roads ok and well signed ,easy traffic ? cost any pitfalls

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
3,953 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire

There was a recent (and lengthy) thread brought forward from a year ago on the same topic

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k52037…

Edited: 13 April 2013, 18:44
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car hire

Try reading this thread all the way through and then make your decision.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k52037…

I forgot to say. Get a coffee and pull up a chair because it is 8 pages long. lol

Edited: 13 April 2013, 20:02
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car hire

oops..somebody already posted the link. Sorry.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: car hire

for the Punta Cana Artea, and only for the near punta cana area, roads are very o.k.

as for signs,

not in pounta cana nor anywhere else on the island the roads are any appropriate signed, you always need to know forehand where you go, no signs to asist.

as for traffick, it is caribbean island traffick, that means we are used to drive 5 lanes on a simple oncoming traffick 1 lane road.

da rules are not written in any book.

have fun

Mike

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: car hire

MikeFisher

It cannot be that bad can it? You are still alive and kicking and posting on the forum, or are you made out of Rubber?

Do not answer that. lol.

6. Re: car hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 14 April 2013, 12:32
Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: car hire

I've been living and driving here for the best part of 14 years and have never had a scratch or accident (except when i backed into a palm tree once, doh!). If you are a nervous driver then maybe driving here is not for you. Yes the driving can be fast and crazy and road rules are not followed, but if you keep your speed down and your wits about you, you should do fine around Punta Cana. It's more challenging to drive in Higuey, La Romana town or Santo Domingo for sure.

So many of those comments on the other thread are by folk who have never driven here - they were passengers in a taxi or transfer bus - which I find more dangerous as you have to put your trust in the driver who invariably will be driving at high speed and overtaking everything in his path! No wonder they were terrified!

Although road direction signage has improved recently it is still poor. You can print out and familiarise yourself with the area via these maps of Punta Cana http://puntacanatv.com/maps

The lowest rental car prices are by booking online. Make sure you take out full insurance and ask the agent what to do in case of an accident (if they can't answer that adequately then steer clear). I would avoid driving after dark as there are many unlit motorbikes. Here's a list of rental companies: puntacanatv.com/getting-around/car-rental-pu…

btw If you're just driving around Punta Cana you don't need a 4x4.

An easy drive from RIUs is Macao Beach puntacanatv.com/macao-beach-punta-cana.html

Have fun exploring!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: car hire

The OP is from the UK and according to his profile is used to driving on the right hand side of the road. For other Brits who may read this - if it's your first time driving on the right then maybe take a taxi first to suss out if you can handle driving here :-)

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
39 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car hire

Having completed a three week 2400 kms self drive holiday in the DR in Feb this year I posted my comments on self drive on the DR forum on 7th March you may find it helpful.

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: car hire

Here's Taipo's post tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147288-i27-k62309…