We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

Cobourg, Ontario
Level Contributor
257 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

Stayed in March at Catalonia Royal Bavaro and enjoyed it thoroughly - exceeded our expectations. However I must say I am amused by some people's comments. - One person who stayed there in January was complaining because they could not make change for their US larger bills so they could tip.... we ordered $100.00 in $1 bills before leaving - thought everyone would know that one...can you imagine if everyone in the resort wanted change every day for a currency which is not theirs? Someone complained that there was no place to store luggage after check out... they have a large locked luggage room right by the front desk that they offered us immediately.... no wireless in room - once our Sunwing rep mentioned it to the front desk we had it very shortly afterwards and it worked all week, we were asked several times that week if we had any concerns, maid checked at night to see if we needed anything more.... just not sure how stuffy some people can be! On another note I was wondering about the beaches - it was windy when we were there and not the calm, clear water that I saw in some pictures... just wondering if some of the very experienced PC travelers might be able to tell me where the very best beach areas in PC are...

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

We stayed in December and had none of those problems. Having stayed extensively all over the DR the beach areas are amongst the best we have stayed.

I saw a review from someone saying they couldn't find the Juice Bar - well they may as well have said they couldn't find the Beach or the Pool - I wonder if some people should actually leave home at all.

I don't think they keep a lot of money at the reception but we changed a couple of 20's no problem. There is also a Bank with Cashiers in the Catalonia part, about a 5 min walk away.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

The beach at catalonia is normally very calm and clear. During high winds the sand kicks up from the bottom. I know there was a very windy period just awhile ago. If Catalonia isn't calm that means further north the beaches were really wavy and maybe red flagged.

Who in their right mind shows up in a foreign country with large $US and expects to have them broken into singles? No research needed, just common sense. I've even read complaints about pillows. For hecks sakes there is a pillow menu. Pick up the phone and request what you like. Those folks will bend over backwards to make your stay enjoyable but they aren't mind readers. Obviously the maids aren't very good with their English language skills. If you can't mime your way through what you want just ask someone who does speak English to get what you need.

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
892 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

Good for you Marg.

The Catalonia Royal is one of the best kept secrets in Punta Cana. Beautiful resort, stunning beach and amazing service. All you have to do is ask and your request will be met (if offered). A little research goes a long way regardless of where you go.

It was windy for us for 2 days (first 2) and then calmed down for the next 5 - all 7 days were great, but when the wind calmed down, you really get to enjoy the beauty of the ocean waters. Just a great resort. Though I wish to Royal beach section was bigger.

PC

Boston
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

one of the reasons we may consider this resort for our nov trip is this great snorkeling off the beach, low key and great rooms but calmer beach is a must for us stayed at excellence three times, ambar twilce need calmer waters maga's postings have pretty much convinced us to book it in a few months...........

Angus, Canada
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

We just completed our fourth consecutive stay at the CRB and we'll be back next year for our fifth. We are often mystified by some of the reviews/postings by some folks, grant it they are entitled to their opinions, but I sometimes wonder if they really stayed at the same resort that we have grown to love. Is everything 100 percent all of the time? No. But the staff has always proven to be very responsive to any/all concerns and problems. We are the type that sticks with a good thing when we find it, and we believe that we have found it. To those that wish to snub the place and it's wonderful management/staff, that's fine their choice, will just help to ensure we get a room for our next trip. We'd hate to see the CRB get too popular.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

I'm glad it's off the radar of most too. Too be fair it won't be everyone's cup of tea. Those who need to be impressed with glitz and glamourous lobbies would be disappointed. It's the low key ambience which grabs my daughter and I and we love the cosmopolitan flair. You have to stay there to understand and appreciate it. A quick pass into the lobby or through the grounds doesn't tell the whole story.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

Another thing. You'll hear me screaming at yet another reviewer claiming it isn't a 5 star. Really? No kidding. You pay way way less for a resort and you think you're getting a NA 5 star hotel? Dream on honey.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

That's the fault of the tour companies, Marg. They rate lots of resorts as 5 star, and then people get there and think they're going to get the Waldorf Astoria. I mean really? $200 a night, all-inclusive, and they expect that?

Mark

Cobourg, Ontario
Level Contributor
257 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

And really, what does five star mean? A lot of different things to a lot of different people. For my husband and I, this resort would be considered "high end" enough for us, for the money we were paying. For March break it was a great deal (from Montreal), we paid half of what a complainer from Ottawa paid in January (although they may have had a villa - didn't say), you really need to shop around before booking. I stayed at the Bahia Principe El Portillo in Samana last year which was also lovely, nice room, great beach, loved it! However, the service, pools, drinks and food along with the fact that there was a golf course right there that was reasonable would put it at a five star if the El Portillo was in my opinion a 4 star, Dominican stars, not Hawaiian. (been there too!) We were amazed at some of the dumb things we heard a few people complain about when we were there. Maybe if I were earning a couple hundred thousand more than I earn I would be snobby too, but most people there thought the place was an incredible spot and were very happy.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 03:13
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Can't believe some postings - recently stayed at CRB

In reality the star rating has little to do with quality. It's all about quantity. If you saw a tour company's check list you'd see why Cat Royal gets 5 stars. It ticks all the boxes. Travel agents should know this and explain to their clients.