We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

punta cana princess vs cat royal

Boston
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
punta cana princess vs cat royal

Hi,

just putting it out their looking at cat royal and pcp does anyone know if these resorts are on the same stretch of beach at all? looking for a keyed down resort not mega big stayed at ambar twice and excellence three times and NH royal once. beach is important mostly calmer waters thanks everyone!

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

Hi Crittercat,

That's funny, I have been looking at the same two places for my December trip. I would like to see if someone could do a comparison of the two to help me decide. I am leaning toward the Cat royal. The reviews for both places are mostly good.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

two,

we must be on the same page today. I know marga lady here on ta has been their many times and has good info on the cat royal. I heard the beach at cat royal is great and especially for snorkeling. Maybe she will reply she is pretty good about doing that. we usually travel the week of thanksgiving what about yourself?

Terry

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
75 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

We usually go the first week in December. It's a good time for us to go at work, kinda slow then. I agree Marga is very helpful about the Cat, I sent her a PM this morning and she got back to me very quickly.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

We've been to PCP twice, we actually just returned from our second trip last Wednesday. We had the chance to visit the new room and it will be just awesome. Buildings 3, 4 and 5 should all be completed by the end of November. We love the qietness, the size of the resort (270 rooms) and the fact that it's probably the best stretch of beach in the area. We've never been to the Cat Royal, but I've heard from friends that have been there that the resort is really nice and the beach also. You cannot walk as far on that stretch of beach as you can at PCP.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,028 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

We went to both resorts, but considering that we were at Royal Catalonia (RC) back in 2008 I'm not sure that my review of the resort would be accurate (since I'm sure lots has changed since 2008), while we were at Punta Cana Princess (PCP) in 2010, 2011 and 2013. I can tell you however that RC is a newer resort compared to PCP. The rooms were much more modern and it is a more upscale resort. The water at RC is calm while at PCP it's a bit wavy. PCP is older but has an amazing tropical feel to it with good food, amazing service, beautiful beach with an on-site buffet and A-la-Carte Restaurants, which are all quite good, with some animation on site for a bit of fun.

I don't know if this helps….

Pathfinder: It was really nice meeting you and your wife at PCP:-)

Christine

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

These resorts aren't on the same stretch of beach at all. PCP is further to the north. I think the properties themselves compare with each other. Both are small in size. The biggest difference is the beach area and sea conditions. CRB is set in a remote area of PC. The nearest resorts, other than Cat Bavaro, are a couple of miles away to the left. To the right there is absolutely nothing as far as you can walk. There is zero boat traffic in front of the Royal beach which makes it perfectly safe for snorkelling. Guests have seen many different kinds of marine creatures besides just a few tropical fish. The only foot traffic is guests from Cat Bavaro next door. I've looked at hundreds and hundreds of photos and can say I've never seen the water too rough for me and I'm a non swimmer scared of waves. PCP on the other hand is indeed on a nice stretch of beach too but there will be more foot traffic and the sea can get rough and red flagged. Snorkelling outside of the roped off swim area is extremely dangerous due to boat traffic.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,292 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

marga,

Thanks for your input that says a lot still leaning towards cat royal and snorkeling I guess my mind is kind of made up cat royal it is although I am sure pcp is just as nice. thanks for your input again!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

OttawaKristie, my first visit to CRB was in 2009 right after the completion of the "new" section. It's a lot different than in 2008. I've seen big changes every year I've been and since last time I read there's even more changes. All to the better. Management is responding well to some suggestions. I'm sure you'll see changes if you return to PCP after the renos.

That's the problem with older reviews, even those a year old. Resorts can change quite a bit, both up and down, in that time frame. I'm sure the older PCP reviews will be redundant after the rooms have had a makeover.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

Christine,

It was nice meeting you and Mark also.

Edmundston, Canada
Level Contributor
2,565 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: punta cana princess vs cat royal

Your right Marg and the changes at PCP will be night and day. Like I said previously, we had the chance to visit the model room and it will be out of this world. I know Christine and Mark also visited the room and noticed the big difference. Can't wait to get back there after the renos are done.