We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

Joplin, Missouri
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

Anyone able to compare the excellence to sandals or Valentin imperial maya in playa? Wondering about the food and what to expect. . .

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,789 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

While the food at Excellence is above-average for a Punta Cana all-inclusive, we found that it pales in comparison to the quality & variety found at VIM or any of the Sandals properties.

You don't say what time of year you are planning to visit, but be advised that the surf conditions can be quite rough directly off the Excellence resort, but calmer waters are just a short walk off-site. The sand is also not the sugary-white quartz that is found further south in the Bavaro Beach area.

And if you are expecting VIM-like features & amenities, you should also know that while Excellence management has kept-up on refurbishment & renovation, the complex is one of the original ones built in the more-remote, northernmost Uvero Alto beach area back in the 1990's.

Hope this helps!

Bloomfield...
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
Level Contributor
3,602 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

I have been to Excellence PC and PM as well as Valentin. I would say EPC and Valentin are very close in terms of service, top shelf alcohol and food. The beach and ocean floor/water is better at VIM in my opinion. VIM staff were probably the friendliest that we have experienced. One of my favorite vacation stories is when we were at EPC check-in. The waitress took our arrival drink order: beer for me, champagne for my wife, Johnny Walker blue for my buddy, white wine for his wife. Six days later when we were waiting for our transfer back to the hotel, the same waitress came by and asked if we wanted a final drink? We said YES and she walks away. We figured she thought we said no. She returns with our drinks - same order as our arrival drinks and we had not seen her again since we checked in. That was impressive!!!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

Hi

We have been to EPC several times and have also been to numerous other resorts in Punta Cana & Mexico. We have never been to VIM as it is not our sort of place. We have stayed in several Sandals Resorts and personally we not return as although their PR is extremely good and they have a very loyal guests base many resorts have now surpassed them

I would agree with the last two posters

If you check out my last review of EPC you will find a link to a large photo album of the resort which should give you a good feel for the place. If you want to experience Excellence and have food comparable to Sandals you may want to look at Excellence Playa Mujeres

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,009 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

I think you'll get different answers depending on whether you're on the Punta Cana board, or Jamaica or Rivera Maya.

I haven't stayed at Valentin. I've looked at it, but it's rated significantly lower than Excellence Riviera Cancun on Tripadvisor, and it's more money. I'd put ERC about on a par with EPC (Excellence Punta Cana). I'd give the edge to ERC in terms of food, but there are things I like better about EPC.

Some of my family members have stayed at multiple Sandals in Jamaica, St. Lucia, and Antigua, and they've also stayed at EPC and ERC. They prefer the Excellence resorts to Sandals. They had no complaints with Sandals. They just preferred Excellence. It suits their sensibilities. I think it's a style thing. They also prefer Secrets to Sandals.

Mark

Joplin, Missouri
Level Contributor
22 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

Thank you! We stayed at sandals whitehouse in Jamaica and food was amazing! Last year stayed at the VIM and we were really disappointed with the food and the beach. VIM made us Leary of trip advisor reviews bc it had the same reviews as sandals.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,263 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

Hi again

VIM is certainly not in the same league as Sandals and as Mark says most people prefer the Excellence properties in Mexico to VIM

The only resort we have found in PC to have food of a similar standard to resorts in Mexico is Sanctuary Cap Cana. I would have added Zoetry but we were a bit disappointed on our last trip - still excellent but a tad down on previous trips

7. Re: Excellence guest, anyone stayed at sandals or Valentin?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 April 2014, 05:18