We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

Hi - in a bit of a dilema and have a few questions if anyone can help please.

Has anyone stayed at both and if so which did you prefer?

Are then any OV rooms at Amber?

Is shade easlily available on both beaches?

I know BP is a large resort, but is it fairly peaceful at Amber?

How many restaurants are strickly Amber only? Bit difficult to tell from their website..

We are looking for AO, are beach people, and like to be able to find a bit of peace & quiet during the day. Not too bothered about reservations for a la cartes as normally quite happy at buffet. Like to have a tipple on the balcony early evening prior to dinner so spirits in room would be nice - I know Secrets don't do this and a bit surprised at that.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Edited: 21 April 2013, 15:44
London, Canada
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

Hi there. I have not stayed at Secrets but stayed at the Ambar last year and am headed back in six weeks - can't wait!! It is unlikely that any of rooms at the Ambar are ocean view with the trees, pool, beach between the buildings and the ocean. The villas are only 3 stories view would be obstructed at best if you were on the right end. We had stayed in another part of the resort previously (Bavaro - Premier Section) and the Ambar is quite segregated. You could stay just in that section and have everything you need and enjoy an AO experience. There are a number of palapas on the beach but like most resorts they can go quickly. There are a number of palm trees as well and we found we always managed to find shade if we wanted (just maybe not close to the water) and we are not get up early and stake out a chair people. Just going from memory there are at least two a la carte restaurants that are just in the a la carte section in addition to the buffett off the lobby and then there is a beach side lunch buffet as well that is limited to Ambar guests. As I said, you could not leave the section for you week if you wanted and believe you were at a small resort or venture off and enjoy the amenities of the larger resort. As far as liquor I am sure there were mini bottle is the room fridge and that housekeeping was good about replenishing them when we used them.

uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

Hi Deb.

Thanks so much for you excellent response, really helpful. Just have to make that final decision now :-)

Edited: 21 April 2013, 17:07
uk
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

Hi Deb.

Thanks so much for you excellent response, really helpful. Just have to make thatfinal decision now :-)

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
267 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

I have stayed at both resorts, We were at the Ambar about 4 years ago and at Secrets in March 2012. I would tell you to choose the resort with the best price. Neither one stands out over the other except that Secrets had better liquor for sure. When we were at the Ambar, you had to pay a surcharge for premium imported liquor and liquers. Beach is in a better location at the Ambar.

Secrets had 2 a la carte restaurants when we were there. I believe that they have recently added a third.They were good and the buffet and beach grill for lunch were very good. Food at the a la cartes at the sister resort next door, Now Larimar, were pretty lousy in my opinion. A la cartes at Ambar were ok. The Japanese and steak house at the sister resort were good.

Again, I would tell you to go with the better price.

Let me know what you decide. Good luck with your choice. You can't go wrong as long as you have nice weather and clean accomodations is what matters to me the most (and good booze too!)

5. Re: Gran Bahia Amber or SRB?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2014, 06:18