We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massanutten...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

I love the description of the Saona Island excursion but everyone says it a really long day and I don't particularly want to drive for 2 hours and then ride aboat for almost that much, Is there anything other excursion similar? I really like the idea of a catamaran, but don't want anything to do with the rays or sharks! I know I sound picky!!!! Suggestions?

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,797 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

It is a long day but worth every minute.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

Is the ride portion shorter now due to the new highway someone mentioned?

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

as for the ride itself you safe thru the new highway 20 minutes from bavaro to bayahibe, as driving time.

i don't know if all touroutfitters use the new highway, as that cuts all their prior shopping stops away, and then it would safe much more time, as those stops at the gift shop traps took a siginificant portion of the "travel Time".

Mike

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

ugh, Mike... you just made it official that it's not a tour I would do. Thanks for your insight.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

We are booked with Seavis. Their tour itinerary does not mention stops for shopping.

New Baltimore...
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

We booked with "Tours R Fun" and had a great time. The trip from our resort through some of the local towns was very interesting and informative. We really had a chance to see and learn about some of the local culture. Our tour guides shared lots of interesting information about DR... everyone thought it was a great part of the trip. We did not stop for any shopping at tourist traps. The only stop was at the Basilica of LaAltagracia in Higuey...a beautiful church.

The rest of the trip was a blast! The boat ride to the island was great...went snorkeling, went swimming and found starfish. Once we got to the island, we were able to relax and enjoy the beautiful beach. The lunch on the island was great and our tour guides waited on us hand and foot...they were awesome!

Unfortunately, it started to rain so the rest of our stay on the island was a little soggy, but we still enjoyed it!

The trip back on the katamaran was wet (the rain continued all afternoon) but we still had a fabulous time. Our tour guides and the crew of the boat made sure that we had fun...and we did!

Even the bus ride home was fun!!

I would highly recommend this excursion with Tours R Fun! Carlos (owner) and Jose were great. They made our day unforgettable, even though it rained all afternoon. If you are looking for a fun day, book with Tours R Fun and you won't be disappointed!

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

If you are concern about the ride you can always drive yourselves or use a private service.

There are many ways of doing this trip.

Saona island is over 25km long and has many beaches part of the National East Park.

Majority of the tours which use sail catamaran concentrates in the first beaches and are usually crowded with the intention of partying all day.

In my opinion they miss most of the beauty of the island

There are further away beaches (Canto de la Playa and Playa Pepe) that only few eco tours go there.

You also have a charming fishing village which for nature lovers may be quiet interesting as there is a turtle sanctuary.

So many things to do and see in the island such as lagoons with flamencos and other wild birds, iguanas, green parrots, etc

If you are lucky you may spot in the sea dolphins, whales, sea turtles and if you are really lucky manatees

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

would love to hear more about a more private way to enjoy the island

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
4,431 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

You have a couple of choices to choose from

Check in the local business list in things to do list of trip advisor

www.tripadvisor.com/MobileAttractionSearch…

Bayahibe, Dominican...
Level Contributor
2,103 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Saona Excusion seems long....anything similar????

Here's the link to the local businesses offering Saona tours

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g663484-Activiti…