We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newfoundland, Canada
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

Did something big burn last night/this morning? I'm at IFA and just got up to watch the sun rise. There's a strong smell of smoke and you can see it in the air. I actually have to go back to the room to use my inhaler. Anyone know what's happening?

Wasaga Beach, Canada
Level Contributor
356 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

II was in Cortecito just up from you for 3 months this winter and 3days out of 7 the smoke was quite nasty in the night and early morning our patio would be covered in black soot. I was told a lot of illegal burning is going on and the smoke is so toxic because of all the plastic in the garbage as it is not recycled.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

Do they control burn the sugar cane fields in DR?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

We were at the Melia (next door to IFA) a couple of months ago and noticed it too. Here's a recent thread on the subject:

tripadvisor.com/…48206

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

The first thing I always think of is Sugar Cane Burning but the truth is that normally it is someone burning trash and lots of it.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

It’s trash unfortunately. It’s very common for people to burn trash in the Dominican Republic. It’s much worse in the countryside and outside of the resort areas honestly. We went for a drive (with my friends’ family) the last time we were in the DR and there were trash fires everywhere.

The air quality is keeping me from returning. I have asthma and it’s a bad mix.

6. Re: Smoke in the air in Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:15