We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

peso vs us dollar

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Romford, England...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
peso vs us dollar

hello

me and my partner are flying out at the end of june, i was wondering is it better to take peso or dollars?

thank you

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: peso vs us dollar

Hi Jade,

USD is fine and widely accepted throughout Punta Cana for shopping, excursions, tips, etc.

Pesos come in handy if you plan on spending lots of time off the resort and doing lots of shopping as you can get somewhat of a better price.

It is much easier to simply stick with USD.

Take note that if you use the ATM's down there the funds are dispensed in Peso's.

Safe Travels!

Romford, England...
Level Contributor
20 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: peso vs us dollar

thankyou bigjim93

i was thinking of taking minimal peso and if i need anymore just using my credit card in the shops?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: peso vs us dollar

Not all shops (actually only a small percentage) take Credit cards so plan accordingly. Also if you are going to use your Credit card, debit card or ATM card make sure you notify your bank of your travel plans or they will put a hold on the card with the first use fearing fraud.

Also as stated above the ATMs here only dispence pesos and anytime you use dollars at a store (off the resort and many times on the resort as well) your change will be in pesos. Current exchange is 41 pesos to the dollar.

BObK

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: peso vs us dollar

also many shops will charge you about 16% extra if you use a credit card ( we have been told this at 2 shops, a jewelry store off the resort and the phot shop on the resort) same at home I guess, some are willing to give a better price for cash.

5. Re: peso vs us dollar

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 06:19