We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Auburn, Maine...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Ok, now that I'm in the right forum...(note to self don't try to make forum posts on phone...)

I'm just curious what the situation is with eating at the ala Cartes here? Are you restricted to a certain number of times you can eat at them? Is the reservation process easy or difficult?

I've only stayed at Dreams for all inclusive and you can eat at all the ala Cartes you want as often as you want (we went to one for appetizers one for main course and one for dessert one night) and no reservations.

I've been reading that some resorts limit you or oh have to book everything when you arrive so I just want to know what it's like here since we are considering booking it. Thanks.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Just got back from the Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, which I think has the same rules as far as restaurant reservations as the Barcelo Bavaro Beach adults only side. We stayed 5 nights and were given 3 restaurant reservation tickets upon check-in to take to the guest services counter and book our reservations. The other nights we had to eat at the main buffet, sports bar or Hoya 19 golf restaurant. We picked the Santa Fe steakhouse, Kyoto japanese teppenyaki and Mexican Lindo. I liked them all, but the steak and japanese ones are the best. We tried crashing restaurants on the other nights, but without a ticket they said they were too booked up even when it was obvious there were a lot of open tables.

Auburn, Maine...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Did you do the upgrade by any chance, the club premium or whatever? I'm wondering if it's different than that. I'm not too keen on the idea of being limited to where I can eat and what not.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
92 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

We didn't do club premium upgrade, but on the Barcelo website, it says that club premium includes "priority reservations when dining at the a-la-carte restaurants." I think that means they just get preference as far as reservation times, but I don't think they actually get more reservation tickets than the rest of us. You could email the hotel at sac9@barcelo.com to find out for sure though. They usually respond to inquiries within a day or two.

Auburn, Maine...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

K, thanks. I guess 3 out of 5 days really isn't that bad. We just got spoiled since our first and only all inclusive experience was at a Dreams where its pretty much a free for all food wise!

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

When we were at BBB this past Feb, there were no limitations on the number of A La Cartes, you could book one every night If you wanted to.

Reservations can also be done in advance by contacting the resort within a week or 2 of arrival.

Happy travels.

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Hi! I have never been to PC but researched this forum so much before booking for our 25th anniversary. I apologize ahead if I'm wrong about Barcelo in PC. We have travelled in Mexico a number of times though, including Barcelo in Riviera Maya. It has a beautiful beach but we hated the limited dinner reservations and we had to make our choice for the week right when we checked in. We were so tired of the buffet for all our other meals. We considered the Barcelo Bavaro Beach for our anniversary but just thought it would be the same - beautiful beach but disappointing qualities. I think for a wedding party it would be so much nicer to just eat what you like when you feel like it, especially if you loved that about Dreams.

Again this is just from my reading on this forum and the Palladium Addict site but Royal Suites Turquesa and all the sections of Palladium don't require reservations and is reasonably priced. They have great swim up rooms for a decent upgrade price and a nice beach. We almost booked there but decided on Excellence for our 25th this July.

It's a big decision and if friends are suggesting it, maybe Barcelo will be great. Just throwing my uneducated opinion out there :-)

Auburn, Maine...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Thanks. Our friends that stayed said you had to make reservations but not all at once. I'm on the fence about the reservation thing. On one end I know at Dreams we were usually trying to make plans together anyway for dinner at a certain time and place so I guess it wouldn't be terrible. I'm hearing mixed things about if you are limited on ala cartes or not...so confusing!

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

The number of a-la-cartes may depend on who you book with. We were booked at BBB through Transat which states 5 a-la-cartes in their brochure description, and that was what we were limited to.

You don;t have to make all the reservations at once - but if you do, you can and still modify through the week if things change and there is availability.

Another comment I would have is that they didn't seem to be big sticklers on the time. I think the reservations are to limit the number of people at a particular a-la-carte to a known number for the evening. We typically took all late reservations (9:00 ish) but if we were ready earlier within reason (say it was 8:35 or 8:40) we would check with the maitre'd and seemed to be able to accommodate us..

Auburn, Maine...
Level Contributor
75 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

Thanks. I'm not sure how will be booking. I don't know if I have to go through the hotel where it's a wedding or not.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Barcelo Bavaro Beach dining (try number 2...)

I'm pretty sure you can book through whomever you want, even for a wedding.

I was just reviewing this year's Transat book for A La Cartes at BBB. They offered unlimited A La Cartes, minimum 5 quaranteed per week.

Happy travels.

Edited: 15 May 2013, 14:49