We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

tips for all inclusive resorts

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
tips for all inclusive resorts

for all inclusive we were told taxes and gratuities were included in our trip cost.

does this include everything at the resort (excellence)??? or should we tip SOME or what? i'm confused and don't want to appear cheap ....

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

tipping is the norm in the DR hotel even thou everything is all included ....however do not fell pressured into it, and tip only where you think it's deserved :-)

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
217 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

thanks. i just don't want them to be offended IF they get no tip....

even during dinner you don't have to tip?? i just wanna make sure we do the right thing....

Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
2,904 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

well like i said it's up to u , the majority of Americans and Canadians tip as that is the Norm for them.... . but it really is an individual choice, I'm from the UK and it's not the Norm here but i defo tip only if and when i want to and i budget my daily tipping money as holiday's to DR from the UK usually wipe out the bank account lol

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

Some people don't tip. Some people tip a lot. Some people tip a little. A buck or two here and there is appreciated, and helps them out. They make something like $8 to $10 a day in salary.

Mark

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
169 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

We tip at the Excellence. We take a couple hundred in ones and tip a couple bucks at buffets, maybe $4-5 at dinner, a dollar or two about every other time the server comes around to the beach chair. $3-5 per day for the room attendant and a dollar in the fridge for the refreshment guy.

These people are so wonderful, we tip. We don't feel obligated. We want to.

You will see people tip and you will see people who don't. Depending on when you look at us, you may see us tip or you might not see it. We aren't obvious about it.

I don't want you to think it is required, but don't want you to think no one tips, because a lot of people do, although it isn't expected.

Hope this helps.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

You til as your conscience and wallet allows.

Montreal, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
5,863 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

Yes tip. The amount is up to you. I think it was in a conversation with PCMike several moons ago that he mentioned the staff makes about 80cents a day once the tour operators have paid what they promised in gratuities from the portion their customers paid them. So you and I both know that the tour operators collected more, but it doesn't get to those who actually work for it.

So with that being said, at the very least, bell boy, a buck per bag, maid a buck per person per day, service at a buffet, a buck or two, more for dinner, and a la Carte's. bartenders a buck every couple of drinks, etc. that is the norm. I would venture to guess a bit more if you are staying at a more exclusive property like Excelence.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
493 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

I tend to tip bartenders (servers on the beach and pool), maids and the person who stocks the mini bar. I tip the maid and minibar acouple of times a week rather than once at the end of the stay...I feel like I get added service this way.BNut as others have said, tipping is not expected but very much appreciated.

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
172 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

At the EPC abd IBG we tipped the maid $3 a day, bartender $1-2 every other drink, fridge guy $1-2 a day, $2 for buffet meal and $5 for sit down dinner.

K J
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
677 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: tips for all inclusive resorts

honestly, i tip way more for marginal service at home - where sadly, it is expected... ;-(.

in DR, i happily tipped 5 bucks at dinner each night and a few bucks every few drinks. few bucks for buffet lunch/breakfest. 3 per day for maid. couple bucks here and there for others etc.

20 bucks for my caddies and driver too and from the couse who ended up just sitting in the parking lot until i finished...

service i got was much better than most service i get at home.