We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

We're considering one of these hotels for a two week holiday in Dom Rep. Our main criteria are adults only, good food, and quiet hotel. Out of the two which would people recommend the most? Also, do either of them have loud music playing at the pools and beach bar? It seems that quite a lot of Dom Rep hotels go for loud music and a lively atmosphere, but we want a relaxed environment and enjoyed Cayo Levantado in Samana which was fairly chilled and quiet.

Also, are there any other hotels meeting our criteria that can be booked through Thomson in the UK? Our budget is up to £5k, to include premium economy seats.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

We have only been to the royal suites turquesa and quite love it 10 X so far and 2 more trips booked. They do play music at the pools but it is not loud and at the swim up section bar (s) it is even less loud and you can not hear it from most of the pools . There is no animation team at the pools and very limited on the beach.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

There's no animation team at Catalonia Royal and they only play soft zen like music at the infinity pool and beach. It's quiet. Totally chilled environment.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Do you know what the sunbed situation is like at these resorts in May? Is it the usual struggle to find one because of the sunbed hoggers (polite term!)?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

I've only travelled to Cat Royal at beginning of June and October. Never had a problem getting loungers. They have plenty available. The beach there has tons of shade, both natural and man made, too. I think it really depends who your fellow vacationers are at the time. Some folks aren't hogs but you may get unlucky and have a rude group who figures they own the place.

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

So true Marg- it really depends on who else is there at the same time. We have been to resorts where for the first few days there was no problem getting beds - then one group shows up and they start hogging as many as they can. One year there was a group of 8 but they hogged seating for about 20 people. They took the spaced out shade huts and all the other loungers in between them. They saw it as there own little corner of the resort. They also hogged the Pool Floats too! Once they left things went back to normal again!

We find wedding groups can be pretty bad this way - they hog loungers for everyone in their group even though alot of them just stop by to say hi and bye on their way to some activities.

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,814 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Will be trying the Cat Royal in October

manchester
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

We are at royal suites at the moment. Sun beds are in fairly short supply (or should I say a lot are reserved with no one on them!) at the beach and the older royal pool. Round the new pools (by the swim up rooms) they are tonnes of beds and parasols! You can turn up any time of day and take your pick of where to go. It's also very quiet round these pools, very relaxing. I actually Skype'd back home the other day and was asked 'where is everyone?'

Hope this helps

Emma

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Thanks everyone. If both resorts are relaxed and not loud then I think Turquesa would probably be my first choice out of the two. I need to discuss it further with my wife before taking the plunge and booking it.

Swindon, United...
Level Contributor
3,559 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

Is early May the time called Spring Break in America? I read one review about a loud group of young Americans, and I'm wondering if the time we normally do our long haul holiday coincides with that.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Turquesa Suites or Catalonia Royal Bavaro

I don't think early May would be, late May you could get the grad trips, that said both of these resorts are adult only and quite so they don't tend to appeal to those types of groups. That said when large groups travel together there is always the potential.