We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

Avon, Ohio
4 posts
Save Topic
Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

Adults and kids on the trip....which of these overall are the best mid range fit.

-Clear blue ocean

-Pools with bar

-Decent food

-Decent rooms

***having to walk or take a tram not an issue, no small children only tweens.

Also direct flights seem hard to come by for Cleveland?...

Fredericton, Canada
Level Contributor
723 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

Of the 4 you listed we have been to Melia and Barcelo Deluxe and would say both would suit well for what you are looking form but would give preference to Barcelo Palace Deluxe. Can't compare on the other 2 as we've not been.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

agreed,

my list would be

Barcelo

Melia

Iberostar

Riu

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,030 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

The best beach, in my opinion, would be at Barcelo Bavaro Palace Deluxe, followed by Melia. These are both on Bavaro Beach, not far apart. Barcelo's beach has the edge for me because it's so roomy. The resort is built along the beach, more than perpendicular to it, so there's a tremendous amount of beach frontage. This makes it less crowded. But both resorts have white sand, and calm waters.

At Barcelo Bavaro, all of the rooms are close to the beach. At Melia, some of the rooms are quite far from the beach (maybe a 10 minute walk), but there is a tram.

Iberostar and Riu are on Arena Gorda Beach to the north. The water is typically rougher, and the beach is narrower with a bit darker (beige-ish) sand. Nice beach, but not as nice as Bavaro Beach.

I haven't stayed at Riu. I have stayed at Melia, Barcelo Bavaro, and Iberostar Bavaro. I'd say they are all roughly equal in quality. Melia would likely be my choice, but that may be just because I'm most familiar with it, and I have some fond memories of my stays there.

Mark

Avon, Ohio
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

Thank you, this has been very helpful. Question Mheath1964- I have heard that Melia serves top shelf liquor as the "norm"...is this true? Also, does Barcelo have a bar by or on the beach?

5. Re: Melia, Iberostar, Barcelo Deluxe or Riu Bavaro?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2014, 05:16