We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

Hello!

My fiance and I will be honeymooning at the Bahia Ambar in just 2 weeks! I really enjoy a good cigar and when trying to search the forums for recent info on it, It seems that I find a lot about cigarette smoking, or a lot of arguments. :)

I'm just interested in where I will be able to enjoy a good cigar without causing a lot of trouble or ruffling feathers. I'm asking about room balconys, on the beach, at the pool, things like that. I don't want to be out by a dumpster, and I don't care to smoke in my room or in a restaurant.

Any advice?

Thanks,

Gary & Carol from North Carolina

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

Pretty much wherever you want minus the buffets, ala cartes and in shopping stores in the Pueblo Principe area of the Bahia.

Smoke your cigar sitting in the water at the pool bar, on the beach at your lounger, on your balcony, at the lobby bar, at the terrace/sports/karaoke/piano bar or nightclub in Pueblo Principe area.

Dominican is pretty laid back when it comes to smoking be it a cigarette or cigar.

Of course be respectful to those around you :)

Safe Travels!

Edited: 01 June 2013, 23:09
Leeds, Engalnd
Level Contributor
3,066 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

erm you can near enough smoke anywhere on the resorts apart from in enclosed spaces, like the buffet, and a la carte restaurants, so on ur balcony, on the beach, by the pooll etc will be fine, if in an open area but near people why not ask them if they mind and then that way u will not offend them, or try to sit a little further away from crowds while smoking it etc .......saying that no matter how thoughtful u are there will always be someone who moans cos that's just life lol

hope this helps

Houston, TX
Level Contributor
49 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

I saw people smoking in quite a few places throughout my resort - and there were plenty of ashtrays. I think if you smoke in open places you'll be fine. It sounds like you are already quite considerate, just for asking, so I suspect you won't have any issues. Also, my significant other was able to purchase some cool cigars (I don't know deets on them as they are not my thing) that he was very excited about (that he can't get where we live), so if you like cigars, I think you are headed to the right place :-)

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
15,195 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

There will even be local vendor selling Dominican cigars during the week.

And there is a shop off the lobby to buy authentic Dominican cigars....

You can smoke them as mentioned almost anywhere except enclosed areas.

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,981 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

Be very careful about buying cigars from"

beach vendors as with these guys there is a 95% chance they are fake and many times use banana leaves instead of tobacco

vendors who "visit" the resort for "shopping nights" as probably 50% or more of these will be fake as well.

You will be better off in a legitimate shop. Yes you will pay more but you will get the real thing. If the price, like on the beach etc, seems to be a steal.... it is as they are stealing from you!

Bob K

Mooresville, North...
Level Contributor
27 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! This was a tremendous help!

Gary

7. Re: Where can one enjoy a cigar at the resorts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:17