We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luggage Locks security concern

Kitchener, Canada
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Luggage Locks security concern

Hi,

Just wanted a second opinion on luggage locks. In my past experiences travelling to the U.S.A everytime i put a lock on my luggage (TSA approved lock) my luggage mysteriously goes missing for a few hours and am stuck having it delivered 5-20 hours later. I feel like when you do that you are red-flagging your luggage to be pulled and searched. I suspect this because i have checked several bags and only my bags that have locks on it have been "missing/lost" and the other ones turn up on time right after my flight.

Having said that, i'm concerned about airport workers stealing items from my checked bag. (paranoid i know but i cant help it i have expensive special physical sunblocks and medications that i cant be without).

Does anyone have an idea of like the top 5 items that airport workers like to steal?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

It happened to me a few years ago when I traveled from Europe to USA.

It was simply because there was not enough space in the cargo (they always take some commercial cargo) and 2 our luggage was delivered the next day(next flight).

Airport workers don't steal! I travel a lot between Erope and USA and never,nothing was stolen from my luggage.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

It can also happened when you travel with 1 or two stops( conecting flights)

Some smaller airplanes don't have enough cargo to take all luggage ...

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

Those locks really offer no protection at all.

If someone really wanted something in your bag all they need is a ball point pen. Simply push the pen in the zipper to split it, open bag, then zip it back up.

There is many factors when luggage does not make a plane. Like B-Sun-Tan mentioned not enough cargo. If you have a connecting flight, maybe they did not have enough time to transfer the bag from one plane to the next plane so the bag is placed on the next flight and delivered to you.

You should always try your best to pack valuables in your carryon.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 12:36
MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

To add the transfer thing happened to me twice last year. Got 1 of my 2 bags each time from US to Canada and they had to deliver it the next day.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

B-Sun, ummm, why do you say airport workers don't steal? That's the biggest myth ever.... just google "theft by airport employees" there have been many theft rings in airports.... here's just one of many storys...

…go.com/Blotter/…

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

or this...

https://www.google.ca/search?q=theft+by+airport+employees&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

and it happens a lot in the U.S. airports.

Edited: 02 June 2013, 13:42
Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,125 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

I posted recently don't put jewellry, electronics or your meds in your checked luggage, they belong in your carry-ons...

Also from another website...

Here are some precautions to take to reduce your chance of having your baggage pilfered.

• Don't put electronics, cameras, jewellery, or eyeglasses in your checked bags. Airlines do not insure those types of items, which are a prime target for thieves.

• When packing, snap a photo of the items that you're putting inside. It'll help support your claim of stolen items later in case you're unlucky and get robbed.

• Use a TSA approved lock for your bags. Two companies sell them, Safe Skies and Travel Sentry.

• Follow the advice on the TSA's website:

"ALWAYS watch your belongings as they advance through the x-ray equipment at the security checkpoints - for secondary screening, INSIST that your belongings be brought to you."

Read more: budgettravel.com/blog/…ixzz2V3vk1ihR

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

Debi

Airport workers don't still in general...There are always incidental theft everywhere...

I have never heard that somebody have stolen sunblock or madication from checked luggage.

I have a friend who works at JFK --- they have many reports everyday when travelers steal from each other during carry on screaning..

I think that when we compare number of travelers and stealing incidents it doesn't look that bad :)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
453 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

I forgot..

About 2 Milion people fly every day in USA...

Those 14 thousands travelers per year who report their items missing is just a tiny fraction of all the travelers :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,010 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Luggage Locks security concern

I've had medication taken from my checked luggage twice while flying back from the USA.

Mark