We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gobecon Question

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Gobecon Question

Leaving next week for Punta Cana. I rented gobecon wifi for $29. My question is this: When on wifi on iphone, Can my teenage daughter message someone on facebook just like in USA. I just dont want major charges from ATT when i get back home. I know i have to have iphone in airplane mode. Any comments will be very helpful. Thanks

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gobecon Question

Would like to know the answer to this too.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gobecon Question

Yes, she can. Just to make sure you have turned data roaming off. I only use my iPad on Wi-Fi and never had AT&T charges.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gobecon Question

Hi,

Before boarding the plane to paradise set your iphone to airplane mode and turn wifi on. Also go into your network settings and make sure data roaming is off.

After that your fine and will only be able to access the internet through wifi. So you will not encounter any fees as you would be using the internet supplied from Gobecon.

Safe Travels!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Gobecon Question

Sorry I should mention when you set the phone to airplane mode it turns off all services like voice, data, wifi, bluetooth, etc.

That is why after you set it to airplane mode you then have to go into settings to manually turn wifi on. Then just make sure data roaming is turned off.

Bloomington, Indiana
Level Contributor
76 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gobecon Question

Thanks guys, This helps alot. I am going to take it she can "facetime" with her friends as well.

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Gobecon Question

You can also download the magicjack app which will allow you to make free calls home.

Chicago
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gobecon Question

Hi there, i wanted to know if the connection worked like you thought? Thanks!

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gobecon Question

Gobecon worked great for the week we had it! I highly recommend it and it met my expectations.

Milton, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Gobecon Question

I am thinking of renting the Gobecon WiFi too for Punta Cana in April. Do you happen to know if the $29 is the only charge or is there an extra data fee on top of that?

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Gobecon Question

$29 plus tax and you have to leave them a $50 deposit that is returned to you when you give them back the device