We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pharmacies

scotland
Level Contributor
250 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pharmacies

I'm a little worried. If I need antibiotics

For any stomach bugs can I buy them over the counter in pc or will I need to see a doctor?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pharmacies

Antibiotics are not the appropriate treatment for many stomach bugs, and if not a type helped by antibiotics, in fact will make problems worse (by destroying the good bacteria in the gut). Moreover, there are lots of different kinds of antibiotics, some of which are more effective than others (i.e. not all antibiotics would kill parasites).

I'd pack some pepto and immodium, and if they don't help, I'd see a doctor to ensure any other medication is appropriate for the particular condition.

scotland
Level Contributor
250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pharmacies

Yep totally understand. I work in a pharmacy in uk. I kno ciprofloxacillin is the usual one to take for stomach bugs, and I know the difference between a stomach bug and normal diahorrea and I also have ibs. Imodium and pepto do not work for a stomach bug. I'm asking if i DO get a stomach bug whatever I am able to buy ciprofloxacillin over the counter in PC.

Edited: 04 June 2013, 14:27
Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,009 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Pharmacies

All meds in the D.R. are sold over the counter without prescription, except narcotics.

scotland
Level Contributor
250 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pharmacies

Thanks! :) xx

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,234 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pharmacies

If you work in a Pharmacy back home........bring some stuff with you in case you need it! Just sayin......

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,734 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pharmacies

If you know you would purchase cirpro, you may find it easier to get a 'just in case' prescription in the UK than to have to venture off the resort (when not well) to find a pharmacy. Not sure which resort you are staying at, but at the two different locations I have stayed at, I don't recall seeing a pharmacy anywhere near.

Pepto does work against several of the common food poisoning agents (e.g. e-coli etc.) so it can be a useful go-to (no need for a nuclear warhead when a bullet will do!). Immodium I would only use if the issue was causing severe dehydration, as ideally you want to flush whatever it is out. Pepto allows for that, but Immodium doesn't.

Another thought, I know you guys have Dukoral as a cholera vaccine; it is also approved for use here as a vaccine for traveller's diarrhoea (e-coli bacteria). If you already have stomach issues, perhaps a doc would prescibe it for you for its secondary protection?

wisconsin
Level Contributor
828 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pharmacies

Have you ever tried probiotics and acidophyllus ? We start taking probiotics a week or two before we go to PC and take extras along with the acidophyllus if we have stomach issues. It's really not good to take pepto or Imodium unless you really have to as it can keep you from getting rid of the bacteria. I also take probiotics for my ibs. I have never gone into a pharmacy in PC, but really like to check them out in Mexico. One of these days I will have to go in and see what they have. Interesting places if your in the healthcare field!

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Pharmacies

My daughter is currently traveling on admission trip in another country. We got our doctor to write a script for Cipro for her to take along just in case. It's cheap and worth it to have and avoid a possible ER visit. We told her to take Pepto with each meal to coat the stomach and hopefully as a preventive measure. I have done this before with success. The probiotics also work well if you start them a couple weeks before you leave. I would want to avoid pharmacies in foreign countries, as you are never sure of their storage practices.

9. Re: Pharmacies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:18