We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Start the smiles!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Start the smiles!

I was just reading a couple reviews of some of the resorts I have visited.

Got me thinking about ATTITUDE.

When I see someone write about how all the staff is rude and gives no specific example of rudeness, just "they made me feel" like I was bothering them. (?) or some other such vague "feeling", I wonder about the attitude of the complaining guest.

Hey, we are on vacation and like to have fun. We have prepaid months beforehand, so it almost feels like we're getting all this paradise for free. :-) Now, THAT's a "feeling" to have!

Since we re on vacation, having fun, almost feels free, well then of course we are SMILING, A LOT!

Smiling at that waiter/waitress/barman/activity guy/desk clerk. Smiling!

Guess what, 99/100 times they smile back.

Sorta hard to have a cranky attitude when its two people smiling at each other.

I would suggest that those who think the waitstaff isn't friendly enough for their taste, try being a little more friendly yourself. After all, you are relaxing on vacation, they re working hard all day for long hours---it should be easier for YOU to "start the smiles".

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Start the smiles!

Couldn't agree more. A cheerful demeanour goes a long way towards an enjoyable vacation. I've found with folks who live in the Caribbean if you give them attitude you'll get it back and then some. Smile and you'll receive smiles in return.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Start the smiles!

Hate to be the harbinger of doom, but unfortunately, there are people out there who do not respond well to a nice big smile. :-(

You can be as pleasant as you want to some people, they just do not want to be serving us; whether it's an off-day, or they are just that way most of the time.

Happy travels.

Princeton Jct., NJ
Level Contributor
4,145 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Start the smiles!

Smiles cure most ailments!

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Start the smiles!

Also, since so many people complain about the staff not speaking English, how about speaking a little Spanish? It's amazing what just a few simple phrases will get you.

hola! como estas? (hello, how are you?)

muy bien, gracias! (great, thank you, when you're asked the above - after all, you're on vacation)

y tu? (and you?)

when they start to really speak Spanish to you, give a small shrug and say "hablo un poquito" (a little)

some of the above is informal, some of it's not entirely correct, but having travelled through mexico, spain, ecuador and peru, we've discovered that it's the effort that's appreciated and definitely gets you the smiles

North Truro...
Level Contributor
8,560 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Start the smiles!

Amen! I've never visited a resort where I haven't been treated like gold in PC or Mexico. Any resort we have returned to has welcomed us back. The minute I step off the plane the smile automatically presents itself and continues as I am greeted by the airport musicians and onto the transfer van. I sleep with it, eat with it, swim with it and definitely drink with it. In fact it doesn't leave my face till I board the plane home.

Happy travels!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Start the smiles!

I saw another post today that indicates that SOME people just don't even want to talk to the resort workers, so I guess there are those unfriendly people who rarely smile, or can't get what THEY consider to be good service and IMO it would be from their own attitude. Of course there could be that one exception, no big deal. How many cranky service people do you encounter at home!

I'd say I encounter more cranky or just unfriendly ones around town and elsewhere in the US and Canada on a given day than I have in 20+ visits to PC.

Using a little Spanish is a good suggestion too IMO.

Don't worry if yours is more like Spang-lish, would you be rude to a person visiting in your hometown if their English was not perfect?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Start the smiles!

adding.... also as to attitude. I guess we don't just look at these people as being there to SERVE us, although yes, that is their job. We also look at them as PEOPLE, new people to meet, people who can share information and widen our understanding of another culture, people who have families, lives, and interests just as we do, people who are just as good as us. I guess if you look down on people who SERVE you, that could come through in how requests are made and then you might get less positive responses than we do. That kind of person probably looks down in some way on those who provide a service in their home area as well.

Chicago Burb
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Start the smiles!

A smile and a Hello go a long way. Learning common phrases and greetings is just good manners.

I've had experiences with people who shouldn't be in customer service. Who knows if it was a bad day or a lifestyle choice. But I don't let it ruin my day.

Smiles are contagious and easy to spread! Infect people!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Start the smiles!

LaTA3 - I couldn't agree more with all that you are saying, not just about the smiles but also about how one approaches the staff. Over the 5 years that we have made PC our vacation home, we have had the privilege of meeting so many wonderful people and learning so much about the Dominican culture. Yes, these people were those that took such amazing care of us and made our vacations memorable but we do not think of them as serving. We have seen so many tourists treat staff like servants and expect every whim to be met with a snap of their fingers - then they are the ones that complain that the staff is not friendly.

What goes around, comes around! If you are rude to the staff and treat them as beneath you, they will still do their jobs and meet your needs but the true joy doesn't begin until you take the time to learn their names and treat them like the valued people that they are.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,331 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Start the smiles!

Nicely said, jpb2