We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Really worrying about our trip in aug! What with story's of mouldy smelling rooms at dreams pc, reports of crime and not being safe if you wonder down the beach, poor weather reports, stomach problems because of bad food... ect ect. With only 11 weeks til we travel I'm not feeling too excited!!!!!!!!

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Just drink through it

Morristown, New...
Level Contributor
8,124 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Did you buy travel insurance that includes "cancel for any reason" coverage? Or, perhaps you are able to switch to a resort that sounds better to you?

DDF
Whitby, Canada
Destination Expert
for Tulum
Level Contributor
6,150 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Read between the lines in these reviews. Go and enjoy yourself.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Me too, have to brush my teeth with alcohol, look both ways twice to cross the street, can't spend my Russian Rubles, have to wash my salads, can't wear my 7 pound gold necklace, sand bugs in the beds, have to have my rabies shots, can't bring my umbrella..... Leaving Friday and not feeling toooo excited!!!!!!

Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Rv429 although you take the piss, as I'm travelling with a 5 year old, safety is of utmost importance!

Belleville, Canada
Level Contributor
2,236 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Maybe those of us who have been there multiple times can try to make you feel better..........

I have been to the DR over 25+ times and specifically to PC at least 20+ times. Yes there have been a few bad days of rain here and there (I have visited every month of the year almost so can report on conditions for most months), yes I have seen a few spots of mould here and there (it's the tropics), never once have I had any stomach issues (but did see lots who suffered from over indulging in liquor and too much sun), could always find something to eat that I liked, and have NEVER once even met a single person while there (in any of the resorts we stayed in) who personally advised us that they had their belongings stolen. I am not saying that folks have not, just saying that I never personally met anyone who did...........

So......for those of us who are repeat visitors.......why would we go back so many times if it were a horrible place as you have read? There will always be complainers (some have valid points I am sure), but some just like to complain if things are not "perfect"!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
470 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

I have been to the DR 5 times and echo Vicki's comments.

Yes, sometimes the rooms smell musty - you are in the tropics and it is humid. Bring aromatherapy candles or room freshener and that takes care of that. Yes, there is crime just like in the US and Canada but you will be in a gated resort or on an authorized excursion. I wouldn't go out with my family at night wandering alone into town but there should be no need to do so. Otherwise, feel safe and enjoy!!! The beaches in Punta Cana are about 30 miles of solid velvet sand and we have walked many miles of it during our visits - again during the day. When you get there you will see people strolling along the beach all day long. The weather has been great for us, but you have a higher chance of rain as June - October is hurricane season . . . which is why the prices are lower. Don't pay attention to the weather reports as they forecast for the whole island - some of which is rainy - but Punta Cana is not. Obviously, if there is a major tropical storm or hurricane forecast you should be able to cancel using trip insurance if you bought it (and I would hope you did if you are traveling with a young child). As for stomach problems, I echo everyone else. Take precautions - don't drink the water, sanitize your hands and those of your child after using the buffet and before touching your own silverware (it's other people's dirty hands that are more the problem than the food), and give all travelers a good probiotic for a week or two prior to leaving home and continue through your trip. This will give you all a healthy balance in your GI system and you will be more likely to not be affected by anything that is "new" to your system. Sometimes people get out of whack not due to food poisoning but only because there are new flora that your system isn't used to.

With all that said, get happy, get excited and go enjoy the wonderful time that Punta Cana offers. Even if it rains, bring some games, sit on your balcony and enjoy your family time.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,279 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Lisa, the whole office is looking at me wondering why I'm the only one laughing so hard.

18+ years and the only mugging I got was from my ex-wife.

Sick once but it came from the plane, I think.

I have traveled the entire Country and outside of the SD Barios feel safe anywhere.

In the tourist areas there are extra Police that are there to look after your safety (Tourist Police).

Use common sense precautions, don't drink the water or overindulge and you're good.

You will have a great time.

canada
Level Contributor
3,851 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Lisa..from the recent postings here on TA I can understand your fear as a first time traveler to the area.. please let me put your mind at ease...we have been about 32 -33 times to the DR..at least 20 of them in the PC area..maybe more..lol lost count... You will have a WONDERFUL time..it is totally safe if you live within the law..just like any other country . go off resort..enjoy your whole holiday..and please..stop worrying (although I know that is hard...the unknown and all that)

We love PC..and I am sure u will too..

Lynn

Level Contributor
24 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Starting to dread our holiday to punta Cana!!

Thankyou to the people who have given sensible advice :) I've proberbly made the mistake of reading EVERYTHING on TA! We do have insurance ect and we have been looking forward to our holiday and coming from the uk it's a long flight ect to then get to punta Cana and be disappointed. Am smiling at the chap laughing at my post in his office :) I very much appreciate advice from the people in the know. Thankyou