We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much weight do you lose before the trip?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Douglasville...
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much weight do you lose before the trip?

Hello everyone, although subjective and different for everyone my wife and I were wondering how much do you try to lose before a vacation to fit into that swimsuit, account for all the extras, or just to feel better in general? Hey I know we're on vacation, but don't wanna overdo it. Also this will be our first trip to an all inclusive not sure what to expect, will we have enough choices aside from starches?

Edited: 17 June 2013, 16:01
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

I normally lose about 7lb then eat/drink what I like on holiday.

Normally gain about 10lbs over 2 weeks then watch what I eat

when I go home getting harder to lose the weight gain now over 40

though takes a bit longer every time to get off.

Luckily we only go on holiday twice a year so have 6 months between

each one :-))

I don't starve myself when I get home just eat normally and drink a lot

less ......

Illinois City...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

We leave in 5 days and I was getting quite chunky. So for this trip i went on diet starting in Febuary.. I'm up at 6 AM every day and work out for about a hour and ahalf.. So far i have lost around 40 pounds and went from a 34 inch waist to a 30... I am now ready for the beach.... :--)

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,310 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

I prefer to stay the same weight and not pig out at a resort, but everyone has different standards. I do have a couple of alcoholic drinks each day, plus maybe a cold cold beer at the beach, so that could add on a pound or two (or even 3-4) but the extra walking we do usually compensates.

you don't mention which resort, but I've never had any problems finding plenty of veggies and fruits any place I've been at any AI and that's over a dozen of them over the years. Have also enjoyed many fish and meat servings. I do like bread, but there's plenty of other food if you don't.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

It all depends on how hard I diet on the plane out.

canada
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

Well, I am proud to say that I have lost 44lbs! Its been around 6 months - so it was done slowly and properly. I still get to have some treats now and again - so it has been realistic!

P C
Ladysmith, Canada
Level Contributor
885 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

Respectfully - I did not know that people did this. For us: it is lifestyle year-round. What I mean is that we eat a healthy, healthy diet 365 days per year. We exercise daily 1 to 1.5 hours per day. We maintain our weight (body mass index) and when on vacation - believe it or not - we eat healthy and it is easy. The resorts have great healthy selection (great taste) including fruits, vegetables, water, diet drinks, sea-food (yum), whole grains, low fat dairy, and lean meats. For us, we do "not" gain weight while on vacation [may be 1 to 3 pounds], but we also attribute that to remaining active (walking 1 hour daily, playing tennis daily, yoga 3 times a week, dancing nightly, gym 3 times a week) as we are at home. As stated, it is a consistent lifestyle - it is about fun. Yes, we do drink alcohol moderately when on vacation. We skip the desert table most nights - fruit satisfies the sweet tooth for us.

coventry,england
Level Contributor
624 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

We love our all inclusive holidays and go mad with food and drink when we arrive,especially my husband.We diet very hard and loose as much as we can before we go,we used to train but my hubby has done is back and knee in lately and is going into hospital this Friday for an operation.Because he puts on so much weight on holiday he takes three sizes of clothes when he goes and can just get into the larger size near the end of the holiday,he really goes for it big time,love him lol.It really takes a long time when we return too get the weight off for the next holiday,but hey ho life is too short to worry about it,just enjoy whilst you can.

Mags

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,021 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

P C, respectfully, your lifestyle doesn't sound like fun to me! LOL ! I am glad it works for you, but when I am on vacation, I do not work out, stick to my healthy diet, etc. that is what vacations are for in my opinion. I eat healthy at home most of the time and exercise 3-4 times per week and that is enough moderation for me. My balance. My healthy lifestyle is to take a vacation. Yet to see the inside of a gym on vacation! Nice leisurely walks and swims are great.

Edited: 18 June 2013, 11:09
Suffolk
Level Contributor
12 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

Well I have had my pending holiday booked for almost a year, thats when I started dieting ( making better choices ) I fly in on Tuesday and I shall be 66lbs lighter!! :o))

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much weight do you lose before the trip?

PC. Drink from a coconut

<----------------<<<

Even the rum in it is healthy!