We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about water in Punta Cana

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Question about water in Punta Cana

We plan to only stay on site at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace so I'm not really worried about drinking water that is served, I'm sure it will be safe on resort and we know only to drink bottled water. I've noticed comments here about not using tap water to rinse toothbrushes and to be careful about getting water in your mouth while showering. Is the tap water in DR any more 'unsafe' than the water in Mexico?? I've been to Mexico and I've always used the tap to rinse my toothbrush and never really worried about a miniscule amount of water touching my lips or my kids in the shower and have never had any issues. Just wondering if there is more concern with DR water. Thanks for any advice.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

each body is used to different water incredients/bacterias and each reacts different on new/unknown incredients/bacteria.

we have family members(locals) who do use bottled water only for everything, but most we use the tap water for toothbrushing and rinsing, i cook my coffee with tap water, we wash the dishes with it and sure it is not to be avoided that the kittens take a sip once in a while under the shower while growing up.

for guests not used to our local water incredients i would always recommend to use bottled water for everything, it is available in unlimited quantities for free at all resorts, so do not take the risk that you may encounter a couple days of a upset stommack on a short weeks stay.

happy travels

MIke

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,984 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

Yup. I also know a few folks from out of the country that got sick on our water here in NY. Oddly enough, NY water is extremely clean but our friends were not used to it. One of the gals was ill for 3 days, poor thing

It's not a matter of dirty or bad water. Just what your body is used to.

Follow the good advice and bring pepto, Imodium or seek out the recommendation of your family doctor as to what meds to bring in case your tummy revolts.

We have never had any problems. :)

dcj
texas
Level Contributor
403 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

In Mexico, I was always told that all water at the resort was filtered or safe to drink. I also drank the tap water and brushed with the sink water. I understand it is different in the dr.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 03:31
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
190 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

Ok, I guess better to be safe than sorry. Thank you so much for the advice! Can't wait to get there!

St. John's, Canada
Destination Expert
for Newfoundland and Labrador
Level Contributor
4,120 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

When we were staying at the Palladium Punta Cana in May, there was a sign next to the sink which stated the water was not potable, ie not for drinking. Our rep told us not to drink the tap water, the water served in the restaurants etc. was Ok as it was fully filtered and treated.

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

travelbug, I had the same question as you. We don't worry much in Mexico, especially at the resorts about drinking some tap water. We're going to Excellence in PC this summer and I was surprised to read how careful we need to be about tap water. I guess the difference is that it's not filtered and I think it is in many resorts in Mexico. I might have to tape a note on my toothbrush or the tap so I don't automatically use it without thinking!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,122 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

In cancun I drank tap water often, and didnt have an issue. From what i heard, probably not true, is that Cancun as a whole has treated water.

In DR we only used bottled for drinking and teeth brushing. My wife didnt trust the water they gave you in restaraunts and only drank bottle, but she does have an under control medical condition, so it made sense not to risk it for her. I told her the restaurant water is all treated, but she didnt believe me. I drank the restaurant water the entire time and didnt have any issues.

We took probiotics for a few weeks before the trip, and during. Had 1 small pepto pill before dinner and neither of us experienced any stomach issues.

Her doctor gave her a Rx for Cipro, as a just in case, but we didnt touch it.

Edited: 19 June 2013, 21:26
Amsterdam
Level Contributor
2,003 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

Been going Punta Cana for a while now (been Mexico and Cuba too) and have always brushed my teeth with tapwater and sang under the shower.

I have never had any belly trouble during my travels.

There is a differance between drinking and rinsing (or swallowing a drop or two).

The 'keep your mouth shut inder the shower' is a bit over the top.

Be carefull but do not fear.

Amy

B.C.
Level Contributor
1,011 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

Amy, thanks for your post! We will be careful.

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about water in Punta Cana

I agree with Amy! I brush with tap water, and think about it this way if the water is so bad that you need hand sanitizer after washing your hands then you better not kiss your partner who has washed in the tap water unless you sanitize them!