We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When to travel....

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
When to travel....

Hi – we are looking at travelling to Punta Cana and staying at B.P Amber, I am looking at travelling in either October or November. I have spoken to a number of people in the UK and have been advised to travel as late as possible, being the end of November as the weather is better but then others have said that anytime from September is fine.

Does anyone have any further advice on this as would love to get some solid dates sorted so I can start the countdown :-)

Thank you in advance.

Lauren

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: When to travel....

The hurricane season in the Dominican Republic normally runs from June to November. That doesn't mean it's going to be hit by one during those dates! You can't predict when Mother Nature going to spit in your eye! It's just something to keep in mind when selecting your travel dates.

Happy travels.

Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
191 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: When to travel....

I would follow your friends' advice and go as late as possible in November. I've been reading a lot of the reviews of those who go during the hurricane season and although many have nice weather, there is a lot more rain and therefore a lot more chances of your holiday being ruined by the weather. That being said, the prices are amazingly cheap during hurricane season, so if price is a factor, you may feel it's worth it to chance the weather. Another thing I noticed on the TA reviews is that not all amenities are offered during the low season and this is when the maintenance is predominately done. Something to consider before booking.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: When to travel....

HI Suzecue - thanks for this!

Price isnt really the issue it would more so be the weather (hehe), can I ask when is classed as low season?

Thanks Lauren

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,791 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: When to travel....

November has great weather. Lots less humidity but still sunny & warm. Keep in mind that the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday week (usually during the third week in that month) is a very popular time and occupancy levels - as well as prices - are higher than the weeks prior or the week after. Also consider the first two weeks in December. After that, prices & occupancy levels rise again thru the week following Easter Sunday.

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: When to travel....

In my opinion the best time to travel to Dominican is March or April. Because of this it is usually the most expensive and very busy. We've been there at that time of year a few times and the weather was gorgeous and NO rain in sight. I can't be certain of this but I've been told by others that September has the most rain, sometimes 19 days out of 30. I'm going in May next year and hear that is also a good month to go, will have to see. If your set on going in the fall then November is your best pick. The later you go the lease chance of poor weather. Hope this is helpful.

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: When to travel....

It's always expensive for us UKrs because of the long haul flights!

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: When to travel....

Thank you for all of this info, really helpful!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
841 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: When to travel....

I personally don't like November and the reason is the days are shorter and we're "forced" to get off the beach around 5-6 because it starts to get dark. It also get cooler in the evenings - not cold by any means, but cooler then say in May. My preference is April or March weather wise, but I won't go again in March due to spring breaks, so that leaves April. We're going in September for the first time this year :)

Edinboro...
Level Contributor
211 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: When to travel....

Jan & Feb are really is a nice time

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,419 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: When to travel....

have gone in June, July, October, and January/February

Best of those is January IMO, still nice and warm, get plenty of sun, no hurricane season, and lower humidity.