We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Tri-Cities,TN
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Condo or AI?

We are debating wheter or not to stay at either Playa Truquesa Condo or Majestic Colonial. I guess my biggest concern that is holding us back from the condo is the ease of going to a grocery store for basic supplies as we will probably cook a few nights and eat out a few nights. We will not have a car but it sounds like from other reviews the condo is in very close proximity to a market, restaurants etc. If we decide to rent the condo and walk to these markets, shops (or take the bus to the other shopping center close by): are you aggressively solicited by the locals the moment you step off the condo property? All I have to compare is Montego Bay, Jamaica many years ago and I recall the second you would step off the property to go to the market or shop you felt like a moviestar being stalked by the papparazi. Wasn't sure if we would have to deal with that in PC or not. While I never felt threatened, "no thanks" got old very quickly.

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Condo or AI?

I would say the opposite, your basically ignored most of the time, the most common thing you'll get is moto taxis asking if you want there services but for the most part your another face in the crowd. I will say though a condo stay while becoming much more popular will struggle to work out as cheap as an AI resort in my opinion, Turquesa condos are very nice by the way and in a very good spot.

Tri-Cities,TN
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Condo or AI?

Great, thanks for your input!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Condo or AI?

condo and AI are two very different/opposite variations of spending a vacation.

AI means to get pampered with everything ready at your demand 24/7, and AI is the cheaper variation of the two for 1-3 weeks stays.

the Condo Experience includes that you pamper yourselfes, vary homecooking with eating out, experience grocery shopping in a different country within new people, as for costs the condo experience is for short visits the more expensive one, well worth the money spent in my opinion, but such is of course very subjective. some love it and others would not manage fine on it, it's personal preferences.

your mentioned Playa Turquesa Condos, that is a very nice place, located very central, the newly opened Plaza Lama Supermarket at the Palma Real Shopping Mall is just around the corner, it is even walkable on newly done walkways, and just a 3 minutes ride by public bus or mototaxi(Motoconcho) away. a smaller grocery store is right across the street from the turquesa condos at the Plaza Dorada, so no problems to keep the fridge stocked without a rental car. you also have a good number of nice restaurants and bars within the very close vicinity.

have fun

Mike

england
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Condo or AI?

We tried the Condo vacation 2 years ago. For us it worked out a lot more expensive than the AI.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
2,691 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Condo or AI?

Mike

Thanks for the information on the whereabouts of the supermarkets. Good information for anyone staying in a condo. We are experienced condo renters and to anyone going on vacation this way, it is the most rewarding, especially when renting a condo monthly and eating out and is a lot cheaper than A I. Believe me it saves us a lot of money when we go for 2 months in the European winter months.

Tri-Cities,TN
Level Contributor
25 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Condo or AI?

Thank you for all of the advise and suggestions! My wife and I are both drawn to the more "locals" experience and the condo direction is the way we are leaning at this point. The other AI drawback we are having is the excess eating and drinking to feel like we would get our money's worth! Either way it certainly sounds like we will have a fun trip. The only negative is that it is still 4 months away.

england
Level Contributor
5,656 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Condo or AI?

If you want the "local" experience.. Pop into Posada De Gladys... Great little bar only a couple of hundred yards from you..

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Condo or AI?

It's not just more expensive but who really wants to cook, clean and wash on holiday??

Also there isn't really that much to explore (Beach life and Wildlife excepting) and you need to do organised trips - although we have got around on buses and Gua, Guas in the past but did it just from an AI.

Wife goes mental if I mention Self-Catering! LOL

Edited: 26 June 2013, 17:10
Evansville,In
Level Contributor
67 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Condo or AI?

Are you going in Oct? We are booked there the last of Oct for two weeks and looking forward to our 1st Trip there.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Condo or AI?

We thought about renting a condo for our vacay. I know enough spanish to get by. It would be kinda fun to try "normal" living in another country. However, I don't wanna cook, clean, shop and do laundry and find entertainment and walk in blazing sun, etc. . . I like being pampered 24/7 and not ashamed to admit it soooo AI for us with maybe a day or two off resort for a change of pace....if I can drag myself away from the bar or pool. :)