We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
225 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Umm...makes me a little suspicious. Ok so its not all of them, but compared to say the Iberostar Grand, a lot of the recent reviews are from people new to TA. Also there seem to be an over-emphasis on mentioning how marvelous all the staff are. It might just be me being a bit cynical but it just makes me wonder. Anyone else noticed this? Any thoughts?

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Maybe coincidence? I am cynical too but generally the Secrets brand has a good reputation so I do not feel all that concerned. If not for the $$ we were really considering going there.

Edited: 29 June 2013, 17:00
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

I guess it just doesn't pay to have a good staff! Actually, the service and staff at SRB is the best I have seen.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
1,344 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Everyone has to be a first timer. Many people will troll these forums for some time, I did, before making their first post/review. So I think you may read more into a first review than is really necessary.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,490 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

I don't believe in coincidence. This is one of the way Secrets and many other resorts especially the ones who sell vacation clubs,timeshares,etc... promote particular resort. Just check Riviera Maya-Cancun reviews and forum threads. No way these postings are coincidence. Many are done by professional marketing folks who who how to 'fool' ordinary reader of Trip Advisor.

Level Contributor
225 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

I'm still going there so it won't make any difference as its all booked and paid for but its just something I have noticed over the last couple of weeks. I'm not suggesting the staff don't deserve praise but nearly every reviewer is reeling off a big long list of names. I am a long-term contributor to TA and am very well travelled and its not something I've noticed before thats all.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,954 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

You're referring to what are called shills. I think lots of resorts are guilty of this. Whether or not the reviews you are talking about are examples of this, I don't know. Based on Apple Vacation's practice of automatically giving all AMResorts properties 6 golden apples, and their Unlimited Vacation Club practices, I wouldn't put it past them.

Having said that, the experiences we've had with Secrets resorts have been great, and I wouldn't hesitate to choose one if the price is right. I like everything about them except the UVC thing.

Mark

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
5,876 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Just looked at the Reserve at PPR. 8 out of the last 10 reviews are first timers. Looks fishy to me!

Level Contributor
225 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Yeah I'm braced to say "no thank you" to the vacation club people, although in my experience, we look so bedraggled after travelling for approx 16 hours that we don't look like we can afford a time share so we don't usually get asked! Hee hee.

Level Contributor
225 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

Ummm...4 more 1st time reviewers raving on about Milky Way and Akon etc etc... Makes me laugh. Do they not let them leave the resort until they write a review hee hee. Oh well. We shall soon see, and you can guarantee that my review will be a real one!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
510 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Why are all the secrets reviews from first time reviewers???

A lot of companies in this day and age actually hire companies to manage their online image.