We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Everytime we travel we say the next time will be lighter. Each trip ends up just as bad. Share your packing advice for a week in the DR.

Plymouth...
Level Contributor
561 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Pack, then take out half of what you've packed. Always seem to come home with something I nevefr wore.

Bring along some Woolite or something similar to rinse out clothing...not always needed but better to be safe.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

It helps when you know where you're going from previous experience. We travelled very light this past trip. Luckily Cat Royal isn't a fussy dressy place. You just need presentable non beach attire for dinners. Men need a pair of long pants for the air conditioned a la cartes. Sea Blue they can wear nice shorts. One pair of closed shoes, could be runners, which you wear on the plane. My daughter, the shoe freak, finally wised up and realized what she did and didn't wear on a previous trip. She got down to 1 pair of sandals and 2 pairs of flip flops. Quite an accomplishment for her. I took 5 tank tops, 3 capri pants, 2 bathing suits, 2 cover ups, 1 T-shirt to wear in case I burned, 2 shorts, 1 sandals, 1 flip flop. I wore walking shoes on the plane. We use the hotel shampoo and bath gel. Take conditioner, sunscreen, bug spray. We both shed 15 lbs going down and 10 lbs coming back.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,282 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

It's easy for a week, not so much for the second week when it comes to weight.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

2 pair long jeans

2 pair short jeans/nice bermudas styled

3 swimshorts

5 normal tshirts

5 nice shirts for the evenings

2 long sleeves shirts

1 pair of nice slippers for the a la carte restaurants

1 pair sports shoes

and the 90% of the time used most important: 1 pair of flipflops!!!!

fits all easily plus Laptop and charger and camera in the handluggage suitcase.

we always bring our stuff to be able to wash something if needed.

but Yeah,

traveling with the Mrs means my handluggage space get's cut to half (for myself) and i also have to take a large suitcase of checked luggage(I have to take it, i would never dare to use it's space for ME!) as her handluggage and checked luggage suitcases are "they are soooo small honey, absolutely nothing fits in there", this and that and this here too, they sure fit in your suitcase if you leave this and that at home, you will not need this one neither ...

if i imagine if i would have traveled with that woman back in da day, when we still had those immense large weight minits/almost unlimited on the long haul flights, heck, i sure would sit in a wheelchair today's due a very bad and worn out back from beeing a private luggage porter.

the last vacations been easy, as we stayed at PC Resorts(we live in PC ourself), so i pack my lil needed handluggage suitcase and the Mrs fills for Her and for our Babygirl the rest of my little truck, she brings those loads to the parking place with the gardeners and once at the hotel the luggage porters really earn the nice tip i give them, as i do not touch a piece.

thinking about the upcoming Europe visit changes my mood into nightmares, still working on explaining her those todays harsh airline rules with just one piece of luggage per person, half for the Baby and limits of 10lbs each, plus our Dog of course, that way she will overload those "Mike-Limits" just by tripple or so, so it should stay within the boundaries where the extra luggage does not cost me more than the airfares themself.

i will find out, lol.

Mike

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

We managed for 9 days but could easily have gone for two weeks with what we took. It would just require a bit of rinsing out some more. All the balconies have clothes drying racks built into the wall. Just hang clothes on hangers and hang to dry out of sight.

I forgot to mention we did take about 5 small hangers each. I call them baby clothes hangers. Get them from the dollar store.

Pasadena, Texas
Level Contributor
99 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

I have mostly sundresses or maxi dresses. I know the last time we went to Catalonia Bavaro we didn't wear most of what we brought. I'm trying like heck to not pack extra but I keep thinking I may want this or that. UGH

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,938 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Can tell ya what not to pack

Anything synthetic

Jeans

Perfume

Make up

That help ?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Just pack the coolest things you own and you don't need much.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
828 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Swimsuits and coverups will do for daywear. I like to use the little dress type coverups as I can use them for everything. We usually don't go off the resort for much and I can wear those little things, that take up much less room than shirts and shortstop, if I go to the shopping even. Dresses for nighttime, easy to put on and lightweight in the humid evenings. Underwear, nighties, a few pairs of shoes, and then you have room for all the extras. Pack most of your clothes into those travel bags that you squish the air out of, or the really big ziplock bags. Clean Underwear can be put into your cups. Floaties, toiletries, candles, etc. do you stay out late at night or retire to your room early, if you only wear your dresses for a few hours you can wear them a few times. Bring some febreeze to freshen them up a bit.

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing ....can't seem to do it right

Dont forget. Most resorts offer laundry service for a small fee. I pack small with extra hangers and if i need to hangdry anything i can and laundry service for anything else.