We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
133 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need to take malaria tablets?

I'm traveling Saturday and am unsure if I need to take anti malaria tablets to visit punta Cana?

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,936 posts
282 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Coming from UK I would say yes as your insurance companies dictate medical care.

Most coming from the US , Canada and elsewhere as well as those of us who live here do not.

BObK

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
133 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Oh right. Thank you I better go get some! X

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

If you stick to bottled water and stay out of the jungle you should be fine.

Gosport
Level Contributor
177 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

I went for my injections last week - travelling in September - advised to get avloclor which I purchased online from Pharmacies 2 u for £2.00 a box. hope this helps

Birmingham...
Level Contributor
133 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Thanks 4 the advice xxxx

Grimsby, Canada
Level Contributor
707 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Ive been to DR manytimes and never took any but if u feel u need to go ahead.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,771 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

I bought a jumbo roll of bubble wrap to wear while driving. Seeing that at least 10000 times more people suffer in this country from injuries and death from driving than from malaria, my doctor suggested this precaution. I also wear a thick foam hat while anywhere near a coconut tree such as on the beach as death and injury from falling coconuts far outnumbers malaria cases in this country. Sorry for the humourous slant on this topic...but sometimes reality is what it is.

Feel free to put anything inside your body...your choice. I will be at the airport selling bubblewrap prior to you boarding your transportation to the resort....LOL

Seriously...do what you feel is needed...locally very few expats or citizens take anything and live here year round. We have no special immunity...simply stated...malaria is rare and way down the panic list of things to worry about.

Cheers

PCMike

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
8,418 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

I am looking for a hat like that Mike. I don't like coconuts falling on my head.

Among my children's 100's of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, in-laws, etc. NOT one person takes anti-malarials. Coconuts and motoconchos are the greater danger.

Toronto
Level Contributor
715 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Having been told by my travel doctor that we did NOT need to take anti-malarials and then by my daughter's pediatrician (who seriously freaked out on me) that we did, I took it upon myself to look for the definitive recommendations and I think I found them.

This is from the World Health Organization (WHO), 2012, and states:

Malaria risk due exclusively to P. falciparum exists throughout the year, especially in the western provinces of Dajabon, Elias Pina and San Juan. Risk in other areas is low to negligible.

Recommendation in risk areas: II (mosquito bite prevention plus chloroquine chemoprophylaxis)

The report is here: who.int/ith/…ith2012en_countrylist.pdf and the DR is on page 12

The recommendation for low to negligible areas is mosquito bite prevention. Punta Cana is a low to negligible area.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,941 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need to take malaria tablets?

Umm to the OP..We got great, smart people on this forum. I love them all...mostly! *LOL* but no one should offer medical advice.

PLEASE ask your doctor's advice if he or she thinks you will need them. I know little or nothing about side effects vs benefits and everyone's body is different.

Happy Travels!