We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Verizon Cell Phones

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Coldwater, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Verizon Cell Phones

Does anyone know if Verizon cell phones worked in Punta Cana? Or do they sell "phone/calling cards" at the resorts?

Thank you!

8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

Check out gobecon. For $29 you get a smartphone with minutes included to usa. They have good reviews on TA. Their site is www.gobecon.com

Howell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

Correction, you only get the portable wifi, Not the phone

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

They have a phone option and a wifi option. Look on their site.

sig
Yorktown Heights
Level Contributor
5,489 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

Verizon cell phones do work in Punta Cana very well, but is quiet expensive $1.99 per minute. And you better turn off any data roaming because will cost you an arm and a leg.

Coldwater, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

Hey thanks a lot! I know it is pricy....I just needed to know if it would work. I was hoping they offered the phone cards like they did in Jamaica.

Howell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

I know they do but not for 29. 29 just gives you the wifi. I am there this Sunday and I also booked them. Have a great trip

Howell, New Jersey
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

I know they do but not for 29. 29 just gives you the wifi. I am there this Sunday and I also booked them. Have a great trip

8 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

Yes. 29 for a smartphone. Unlimited incoming and minutes to call out. It's right on their home page.

Coldwater, Ohio
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

I have to admit I have never heard of Gobecon! LOL....but I am certain we will be checking it out. It sounds like it would be a very good idea. Thanks so much to all of you for your help! Only 8 weeks to go!! Cant wait!

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Verizon Cell Phones

Or simply stick to the resorts wifi and download magic jack app on your phone to make free calls. Many types of apps available from the standard calling app to ones with texting. Then add skype or facebook to video chat makes no reason to pay expensive roaming fees.

They do sell long distance calling cards in PUJ but then add the connection fee the resort charges you to use the phone in your room it is just not worth it.

If you have an unlocked cell phone you could by a sim card down there with minutes but as above mentioned look into Gobecon.

gobecon.com/collections/…smartphone-rental

For 29$ for the week you can pick an Iphone or Android, 30 min to call USA or Canada. Unlimited incoming calls and text, and additional minutes are 29 cents per minute. Way less of a hassle and much cheaper then the roaming fees you will pay with Verizon