We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Massanutten...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

My husband are US Citizens, we have passports. Do I need a VISA also? What is the difference?

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

Huge difference.

You bring your passport with you to the D.R. and when you land you get in line to buy a tourist card for $10 each. Then you proceed through immigration and customs. There is nothing else you have to do. No visa is required.

england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

It's basically a nice little "earner" for the DR gov.. $10 going in & $20 coming out pp all in cash. And all into the Gov "coffers"...

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

that's not correct, Sparkles55,

half of the $10.- Tourist Visa/that's the entry fee paid for the tourist card upon arrival, goes to the DR governemnt(and that's very cheap, i can not imagine any popular UK airport to run that cheap), and the other 50% go to the owners of the privately owned Intl Airport of Punta Cana, Grupo Punta Cana, you can name them the Founders of Punta Cana.

US american Citizens do not need any additional Visa on top of that, just their up to date US Passport and the purchase of the tourist card.

there may be requirements as to for how long the passport still has to be valid til it's expiration, those rules differ depending from which country a visitor comes from/which country issued the passport, such some US bordmembers may fill in here as i don't know their requirements.

Mike

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,840 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

The Citizens holding the following Passports may

enter the Dominican Republic without a Visa

( Tourist Card must be purchased upon arrival at the Airport )

Those countries not on the list must purchase a Visa.

thedominicanrepublic.net/Visa_Requirements_R…

Many Canadian tour operators provide the tourist card and departure fees.

Edited: 09 July 2013, 19:18
england
Level Contributor
5,648 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

I stand corrected.. What about the $20 ??

Sparkles...

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,832 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

The $20 is included in ALL U.S. Airline passenger tickets.

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,529 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

That $20US is the Dominican departure tax that must be paid if it has not already been pre-collected by your tour operator or airline (For U.S. citizens, it is always included in the fare basis of the trip. However, the $10US tourist card/entry visa fee is not and must be paid upon arrival).

FYI - U.S. Passports are valid from midnight on the date issued until midnight on the date of expiration, and are good for travel anytime during those dates without any restriction.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,801 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

" $10 going in & $20 coming out pp all in cash" .... not so for Canadians, we do not have to have any "cash" in hand going in or out, it's been prepaid by our airline companys (except for two).

Other countries DO charge this but it's usually built into your ticket.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

flying from germany i always had the entry and the exit fees included in the airfare.

since i am a permanent resdident here i get the $10.- entry fee reimbursed, as it is firstly always included in the airfare.

Mike

murillo
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Passports and Visas...r they the same thing?

I was told if your passport expires within 6 months of entering certain countries they can deny you entry...or do...I believe i read it on here ... Isn't a visa for working in the Dominican ?