We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best option for cellphones?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best option for cellphones?

Does anyone know of the best prepaid option for a cellphone in dr and where I can get one?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,118 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best option for cellphones?

Use Magic Jack app on apple or Droid. worked great in the DR to make calls to US, and 100% free

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
174 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Best option for cellphones?

Thanks! Let me check it out. I'm scared to bring my cellphone I always end up with 100's of $$ in roaming charges

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best option for cellphones?

If you use Verizon you just need to update your phone by dialing *228. That will update your roaning to avoid those big fees.

I use mine in the Caribbean all the time. $1.99/minute. Great for a quick call.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best option for cellphones?

there are many applications for such, Skype is one, can be used on the smartphones/tablets etc and they offer very affordable plans to call not just landlines but even the cellphones off the Kittens at home to stay in touch.

Mike

Newburgh, Indiana
Level Contributor
22 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best option for cellphones?

That didn't work. We did *228 before we left. I ended up with $454 in data roaming charges. Phone was on for less than three minutes. I discussed bill with Verizon five times during June and they never called back. Each time I was told they were escalating the investigation to a supervisor. I was also told that the *228 was for US roaming only.

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best option for cellphones?

You have to turn the data off!!! You use just as a "phone".

Toronto
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best option for cellphones?

We used gobecon. Great service. very happy with them. $29 They will rent you a phone for data or calling. You can see their site here. www.gobecon.com very good reviews on trip advisor.

Texas
Level Contributor
919 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best option for cellphones?

Someone just told me to remove sim card so i wont be charged, but we can still use wifi is that true. So with majic jack do we take out the sim card first?

MTL
Level Contributor
4,829 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Best option for cellphones?

BritishTexas what kind of phone do you have?

Texas
Level Contributor
919 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best option for cellphones?

I have an android but my kids have iphones :) TMobile

Edited: 17 July 2013, 05:15