We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

Massanutten...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

Unfortunately, I have been sick since my second day at the Majestic Colonial. It was not the combination of sun/alcohol, etc. I did NOT drink the tap water, and used only bottled water to rinse my toothbrush and mouth, I was VERY careful about that. I didn't drink any alcohol at all after my 2nd day, I am home now and I am still sick with bowel issues and nausea. Just wondering how long it took you to get over this? Did you end up going to the Dr.? Any ideas on what it is or how to combat it without going to the Dr.? Any input would be appreciate it! thank you!

illinois
Level Contributor
130 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

See your doctor!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
14,185 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

see your doctor.... could be something you ate or drank or a stomach bug/flu/virus, but it could also be something from the airplane on your way down.

I'll never forget the dude behind me on the airplane last trip down, he was spittin, coughing and spewing the whole time down to the point I blocked off the opening between the seats.... he was disgusting and even more disgusting spreading his germs like that.

good luck.

Gainesville, TX
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

It has taken a month to get a firm poop again. We stayed at Dreams Resort and Spa

Edited: 20 July 2013, 17:20
Hamilton,On
Level Contributor
490 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

I am a huge believer in airplane germs, especially when struck down only 2 days into your vaca. Actually, I'm quite anal about airplane air...ugggh.

Townsend, MA
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
1,969 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

If you pardon the pun..........

Seriously, go to a doctor. Imodium is your friend, also.

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
60,389 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

Why or why do people seek medical advice on a travel forum

I have just seen a similar thread on another forum and the person is still on holiday

New Baltimore...
Level Contributor
52 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

We were at Ocean Blue in April with a group of 20. Almost everyone in our group had some degree of "intestinal distress" while we were there and for a week or two after we returned. No one went to the dr. but a few in our group (including my daughter) had some definite bathroom issues for at least a week after we returned. Hopefully, you will feel better soon, if not, I would definitely see a dr. Good luck!

pittsburgh
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

I was wondering when I saw Ipelyak's post. Did you all travel together or most of you? I believe you can get germs anywhere, but I have always heard this of the recycled airplane air. And as soon as one in you group gets it, then they pass it on to others in their group. Just wondering because I have yet (knock on wood) to get sick after a flight.

Grumpy

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
345 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

I got sick on the second day of our vacation and spent 3 days lying in bed :( It wasn't a stomach issue, I had severe vertigo and felt nauseous all the time. We were at Esmeralda. Although I've never had vertigo or an ear infection before, I am quite sure I picked up a virus on the plane. Stomach bug is harder to pinpoint, could be from resort or plane. Getting sick on vacation really sucks! Hope you feel better soon!

York, Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
6,624 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For those of you who have gotten sick in Punta Cana...

Only time I have ever gotten sick was within 24 hrs of getting off the plane. We both got it and it was horrid. Luckily we had Cipro with us a were able to salvage the remainder of the trip but was not pleasant.