We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PUJ Airport Security & Food??

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Fredericksburg, VA
Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PUJ Airport Security & Food??

We just returned yesterday from our trip to Bahia Ambar... When we checked in for departure, the United Airlines agent in Punta Cana told us we could not bring food items through the security checkpoint (and by food, I mean granola bars, chex mix, etc... things we brought with us from the US as snacks... not produce, etc we purchased in the DR). He told us we would have to throw it away, and buy food inside. We read the signage at the security checkpoint, and did not see anything to confirm this. So, we took a risk, and brought it through with no issues. I'm wondering if the United agent was mistaken (or working with the airport to get more people to buy food inside...), or if we just got lucky.... We were not told the same thing when we traveled from Punta Cana two years ago. Has anyone else been told the same, or does anyone know if this is true?

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,887 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PUJ Airport Security & Food??

You got lucky. If you got picked for a random check, it would have gotten tossed.

Warwick, Rhode...
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: PUJ Airport Security & Food??

Dawnskye, I am curious as to why. We have travelled many places, domestically and internationally with those items.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,765 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PUJ Airport Security & Food??

i`was told this once by a rep on the bus... forget that sh ytt.... i have never had a problem with it, heck I even had a water bottle on the outside of my luggage last time and nothing was said.

winnipeg
Level Contributor
487 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: PUJ Airport Security & Food??

Sometimes in Punta Cana they seem to make there own rules up

always have had snacks on the way back in 17 trips and never a

issue. That Being Said i have heard of many things conficated at

the Airport there that should be allowed. Never being checked

leaving, 3 times on the way in, cheers Tim..

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
2,357 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PUJ Airport Security & Food??

Yes it's allowed. But if they're hungry

and it's something they want

and they think you're soft

and that they can get away with taking it from you, they'll try.

If you put up a fuss, they'll back off.

Once. A sweet lady checking my bag, was giving me a sob story in Spanish about her tooth pain and she asked for a couple of my prescription painkillers! so I let her take two. It made the rest of the process go much easier,

6. Re: PUJ Airport Security & Food??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 05:16