We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

Holly, Michigan
6 posts
Save Topic
Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

I will be staying at the majestic elegance and am interested in doing some bike riding. I haven't been able to find any bike tours or rentals on line. Anyone have any suggestions? Is this something that is even doable? Also, is there any shopping in the area that is more like a local marketplace and not a touristy shopping "mall"?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
2,113 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

The only shopping areas that are within walking distance of the ME is a flea market of sorts outside of the main entrance to the Majestic properties. There are also a few small shops directly on the sand, about 30min walk to the right. Both of these locations tend to sell the touristy stuff you are trying to avoid.

You can always take a cab to a local market if you wanted. Also there area a couple of Jewelry and Cigar stores, that offer free pick-up from any resort. There are handful of shops right at the ME, but the prices are a bit insane

I personally dont know about biking, but I know that I wouldnt take the risk. Once you take the ride from the airport to the resort in your cab/transfer company, you will understand. It would be comparable to biking in the streets of Times Square, but even more crazy.

If you are biking to see the "real" DR I would suggest trying to book with PC-Mike on one of his Dominican Tours (TA username Vienemo). If you are biking for fitness, ME has a very nice, modern gym on site.

Edited: 23 July 2013, 16:28
Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,848 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

Punta Cana Mikes website

http://www.puntacanamike.com/

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

Biking on our public roads sounds like a deadwish to me, i would not recommend it.

MIke

Chicago Burb
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

Yikes! Doesn't seem like bike riding would be a good idea. Traffic is .... Interesting!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,917 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

Interesting is one way of saying "you are gonna be road kill". No thank you!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
221 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

I wouldn't recommend riding a bike in Punta Cana either!

As far as shopping goes, there's an area right next to the resort with some typical souvenir shops. I would recommend also going to Palma Real Shopping Village and San Juan Shopping Center. There is a shuttle from each malls that can take you there from the resort. PRSV is quite upscale, but the mall is very nice and there are a few restaurants and bars (e.g. Hard Rock Cafe). SJSC is also a great place, prices are a bit lower. Both malls have supermarkets where you should get your coffee and rum, if you're planning on buying these to take home, since prices will be cheaper. Both malls also have a nice cinema (movies are in English with Spanish subtitles), if you want to go for dinner & movie night :)

If you're interested in cigars and chocolate, you should visit Don Lucas and Choco Museo which also provide free transportation upon request.

7. Re: Shopping and bike riding in punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 July 2014, 05:17