We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

Boston
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

Been watching the airfares from Boston to PUJ and SDQ. For the past several months they have only scheduled one direct flight on the day we want to arrive 11/22/13. To book for one week just airfare direct flight was 2781.00 We finally booked our airfare from Boston to SDQ leaving on a late night flight on 11/22/13 and coming home on 11/30/13 for 883.00 round trip direct flight. Even on the SDQ flight they only appear to have three seats left on the return home flight. It seems strange they only have one direct flight maybe they will add more seasonaly I guess as we only fly direct anyways.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

Boston and it's surroundings have a sizeable Dominican population, and JetBlue is the only airline that has nonstop to anywhere In the DR from BOS now, so the BOS-SDQ flight is very popular, even though it's an overnight flight. I'm surprised they haven't increased it to twice a day. (Maybe waiting for more aircraft to be delivered.)

Boston
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

I know Eric seems stange we ran into this problem last fall too. We had to book airfare now or we were afraid we would not get a direct flight. maybe they will add more who knows.

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

I agree with you, Eric. More surprising is why the other airlines, other than JetBlue, have not added non stop flights to PUJ (as well to POP and STI).

I'm looking forward to the day they add a couple of non stop flights from TF Green (PVD). I grew up in Prividence and there is a strong Dominican presence in RI. Anyone traveling to DR from RI has the inconvenience of having to travel to JFK or BOS to cut the cost of their airline ticket.

Boston...
Level Contributor
186 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

Meant "Providence".....these phones

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
269 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

I had the same problem booking a flight from the MD/DC area. only 1 direct flight from here (AirTran). Was afraid it would sell out, so we booked our tickets for November. Good thing we did, because the next day the prices were up $90 a ticket!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
269 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

small world NancyA...I went to school in Providence. I used to love flying from TF Green because it was so small (so it was easy to get to your departing gate quickly) and the parking was so cheap.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

I just booked a trip to Punta Cana. The airfare portion was just about $600 even r/t for non-stop on JetBlue BOS-PUJ.

I luckily had a hefty amount of AMEX and JetBlue points to combine and got one leg of my flight for free and paid just taxes, so my r/t flight was only $380!

Also, just a side note...the Dominican Republic charges a high VAT for flights. JetBlue has it listed on their website. This is why DR flights are normally pricier than those of Mexico (which only charges 2.75%). So in DR you're paying almost $50 on a $300 flight.

Country of Originating travel VAT

Barbados 17.5% of base fare

Colombia 16% of Base Fare

Mexico 2.75% of Base Fare

Dominican Republic 16% of Base Fare

Costa Rica 5% of Base Fare

Saint Lucia 7.5% of Base Fare

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
3,207 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

I think the reason for there not being more flights to PUJ then there are, and this would apply to all airlines and routes from the US, is that the infrastructure at that poor airport just couldn't take anymore flights in the current facilities. The demand is certainly there, and when there is large demand and restricted supply, the fares go through the roof. (Just ask any Venezuelan wanting to travel Between the US and Caracas) This is why you can get $400 fares to Santo Domingo and are paying $900 to fly to PUJ. A large modern airport for PUJ could mean more space for more flights to operate.

N.H.
Level Contributor
15,323 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

JetBlue is NOT the only airline to fly Non-Stop to Punta Cana. U.S. Air also has non-stop flights. As for the cost I booked our non-stop trip to P.C. a couple months ago with JetBlue for $498.00 per person.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,317 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jetblue nonstop airfares from Boston

bob,

you must know people as I have been checking airfare for months I only fly jetblue flown us airways not send me the link flying into sdq much cheaper I have been checking airfares since feb no luck