We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos/Sand fleas

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Myersville, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos/Sand fleas

We will be at Secrets in two weeks and someone just told me that I needed to bring a ton of Off to keep the mosquitos away as well as the sand fleas at the beach. Can anyone tell me if this is truly or not. I am just trying to ensure that I pack everything we need.

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,894 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

We've taken bug spray every trip but never used it.

Maybe the skeeters just don't like us

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
2,416 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

We've never had to use bug spray either, but definitely don't leave home without it.

It could be a regional thing too. Punta Cana covers a very long stretch of beach. Those buggers could be more active in an area than another.

Typically though, early morning and late evening is when they would be the worst, if memory serves me correct.

Happy travels.

Boston
Level Contributor
1,288 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

Hi,

I got bit for the first time this past april at the Bahia. thing hurt for days I did bring neosperoin with me as that helped to take the edge off I would suggest taking some deet stuff with you I know in nov I am going to do that for sure

Myersville, Maryland
Level Contributor
255 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

Great idea about the neosperoin. Going to get that and DEET and be prepared!!!

Thanks everyone.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

So true that different areas and/or greater vegetation will affect the prevalence of bugs. We ran into some bouts with mosquitos last year, and made very good use of the Deep Woods OFF we brought, more so in the evenings (we even lent it to the staff) and were not bothered too much at all - certainly have had worse experiences camping up here at home :)

As far as sand fleas, I can only speak from our experience - I applied the OFF when we went down to the beach, and reapplied when I came out of the water. Hubby did not, and ended up with quite a few bites on his lower legs and ankles ( you know when you want to say "I told you so..." LOL). Everyone is different and he may be more susceptible to reacting, but he did end up going through almost all of the hydrocortisone we brought - Afterbite wasn't working for him. It didn't ruin our trip in any way as the cream brought relief and he started using the OFF when we went to the beach :)

We also made sure to brush/rinse our legs off before heading back to our room, and took our beach stuff in a plastic beach bag rather than one made of material where the little critters might get into and end up in the room - may be overkill, but had read about these tips on here, and thought "an ounce of prevention..."

Our thought is to go prepared and be happy you have it, rather than wishing you'd brought it - enjoy your trip! :)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
566 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

I actually tried tea tree oil last year in Cuba, and it worked surprisingly well. Sometimes I get chewed alive by the sand fleas and other years nothing. It all depends when I head down to the beach as early morning seems to be their greatest feasting time.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

We've stated at SRB and never had problems with either. We always bring off just in case and never use it. We have had problems in Jamaica, if we were on the beach in the late afternoon and into the evening so we stay off beaches at those times. We found that the no-seeums ( I think they may be sand fleas) could be brought to our room by walking the beach with long pants and mid calf dresses.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
12 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

Hi, we just came back from GBP. We found the bugs terrible in the evenings- bites below the knees --nothing during the day. We used the regular Off and it worked fine. Problem is we didn't use it for the first couple of nights and paid dearly. We found we never felt the bites until the next day and they were brutal! Seemed they would start to go away, then reappear as soon as I touched one. I strongly recommend use it the first night on your legs and every night you are there. May want to bring some Calomine or similar as well to treat the bites. The stuff is very expensive there.

Barnoldswick...
Level Contributor
57 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

We're going in October and starting to buy holiday things.

What is OFF? Ive never heard of it in the UK?

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mosquitos/Sand fleas

OFF is a brand of mosquito/black fly repellant. There are different DEET strengths available. We use the Deep Woods formula as it has a high level of DEET and is effective for us when camping. The resort we stayed at offered the OFF family formula, but with a lower DEET level (14% I think), we didn't find it as effective as the Deep Woods type (30%). Maybe just look for something with higher DEET if you'd like the extra protection :)