We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Running in Punta Cana

syracuse, N>Y>
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Running in Punta Cana

We are staying at the Now Larimar in Punta Cana in April '14. I am an avid runner and am hoping to be able to run off the resort grounds. I have never been to D.R. before so don't really know what to expect. Does any body know if this would be safe. Are the roads very crowded and thus difficult/dangerous to run on. I can always run on the beach but would like to run the roads also.

Thanks for your advise. Mike

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Running in Punta Cana

You are in decent location to run. I say go for it. Maybe dont wear headphones so you can hear the honks.

J.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Running in Punta Cana

I stayed nearby at the Melia Caribe and ran within the resort complex and on the beach - it was great. Personally, I wouldn't go off the resort as to me it seemed to be too many cars without a sidewalk that would be safe for pedestrians.

syracuse, N>Y>
Level Contributor
35 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Running in Punta Cana

Thanks for the input....looking forward to running on both road and beach. Mike

Ottawa
Level Contributor
1,114 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Running in Punta Cana

We have not been there since January, apparently some sidewalks are going in...

J.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Running in Punta Cana

I was there in early March - don't recall seeing them but that would be good. That being said, I'd probably still not run outside the resort as being a female on my own, I'd probably feel a bit nervous doing so unless I saw a lot of others out there.

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
211 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Running in Punta Cana

My wife is also an avid runner and we've been to PC a number of times, including once at the NOW Larimar. Some of the larger resorts have walk-ways surrounding the resorts that make for excellent road running conditions. The NOW Larimar is a small resort so if you want to run, it's either on the beach or the road outside the resort as others have mentioned. The road is quite busy and my wife didn't feel safe with all the traffic and as she doesn't enjoy running on the beach, she spent her mornings at the gym. Hope this helps...and have fun!

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
13,032 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Running in Punta Cana

As many never venture beyond the resort walls, most will not have noticed that we now have sidewalks all through the community. A good run outside the resort in safe conditions should not be an issue now. You can run all the way to Veron if you wish! LOL

Cheers

PCMike

8. Re: Running in Punta Cana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 August 2014, 05:18