We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
7 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

My wife, myself, and two other couples are heading to Punta Cana for New Years Eve this year. We have been looking for all inclusive resorts and both the Bahia and Imberostar adults only resorts are about $800 more.

One couple wants adults only, one wants the cheaper resort, and my wife and I are indifferent.

Anyone been there over NYE? Is it worth the $800 to have adults only? Are children at the other resorts really a problem?

Thoughts? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

The main thing to keep in mind is that depending on which other section the non AO stay in, they will not have access to the AO section. So those staying at the AO would have to go over to the non AO section if they wanted to hang out together. So that might be something to take into account. The $800 may not be worth it if they don't get to use that section too often.

Both resorts are big enough that even at the family sections you would be able to find areas without too many children. The main time we have noticed them is of course at the buffet and the a la cartes. But even when we stayed at the AO (Ambar) we ran into this because we ate some meals at the regular side a la cartes.

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
2,151 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

There will definitely be lots of kids and teens at non-AO resorts at this time of year. Only you can decide if that's a problem, though.

Toronto,ON
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

Have you considered other adult only resorts? The new Breathless Punta Cana is opening in November and the rates might be better than the other adult only resorts. It will be brand new and might still be working out a few things but is adult only. It might offer a savings to the other adult only resorts you are considering.

We were in Jamaica over Christmas last year and our travel agent knows our travel history and highly recommended adults only as the others will be full of families with kids all ages. We are so happy we changed from our original plan of the Bahia Principe and went with Secrets Wild Orchid. Well worth the extra money to have relaxation without kids around.

Canada
Level Contributor
629 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

We will be going to the Punta Cana section of the GBP for New Years Eve this year. My daughters friends were there last year at this time. I have been to the main resort as well as the AO many times. I will say that in my opinion YES the extra for the AO is worth it. When you stay at the Ambar you will have the best of both worlds. You can have your days and evenings in the quieter, less crowded surroundings of the Ambar, but you are still able to access all the main festivities that take place in the common area of the resort . From what I understand, the big celebration is in the pueblo principe square and everyone (all ages) party together for New Years

However, having said that, if the extra money makes the trip un-doable for everyone then I think you will still have a nice time at the less expensive part of the resort -

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

It's not just the lack of kids that make adult only resorts appealing. Typically the entertainment, and overall quality is better.

Mark

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
5,788 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

We've stayed at both the Bahia Ambar and Iberostar Grand and we also stayed at the Iberostar Bavaro and loved all of them. I personally, would not stay at any other section at the Bahia just because I found it too huge a complex for my liking and the beach at the other sections was way too crowded, however, wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Iberostar Bavaro to just adults. Although the Grand was amazing, it is bit too glitzy for our taste. Keep in mind that you do get free golf at the Grand, if that's something that would interest you. I have never been over New Year's but I suspect both the Bahia and Iberostar will have lots of kids.

Edited: 15 August 2013, 19:06
Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

children are never the problem, it is personal preference to choose a place where children are running around and activities are prepared to include them as guests or to stay at a adults only place where all is run to suit adults only.

at big resorts like the Bahia Principe, for the good party, you need anyways to venture off the small adults only section and hit the grounds where the children are, the Pueblo Principe entertainment area, so there it would not matter to book the more expensive adults only section or to take a average family section room, as for most action you will be with the kittens anyways.

new years and christmas is the most expensive time of the year(aside of easter week), so if spending the big bucks for a new years eve in the caribbean in a group of just adults i would spend the extra bucks to really be just adults and enjoy it at fullest.

Mike

Worcester...
Level Contributor
879 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

We've stayed at AO resorts and family resorts and we've never had a problem with any of the resorts we've stayed at...I personally prefer AO (they tend to feel less crowded), but my fiancé prefers the family resorts, so its all a matter of preference...

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
424 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

If you have children and like noisy children, save your $800. I don't have kids and when I think of a vacation, all I want to hear is ocean waves, not children screaming. Depends on what you like. If you pick a Adults Only, you don't have to worry about hearing screaming and yelling, kids running up and down hallways, crying, etc. But if you don't mind that, save your $800 :)

murillo
Level Contributor
5,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana - All inclusive - Adults only vs Kids!

your going to the carribean on NYE ... give me a break... AO all the way... they are way more relaxing ... and i have been to the Bahia and the main pools are loaded with screaming kids... lol have anying of you been there...? plus there is no beach...