We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

Bowness-on-Windermer...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

We are travelling to the Bahia Principe Ambar in a couple of weeks and wondered whether we need to pre-book restaurants before we leave the UK or whether we can do so once we get there? In Previous hotels we have never had to pre-book, we've just gone the morning after we arrive to customer relations or a point for restaurant reservations and then try and book all the restaurants for that week or for the 2 weeks there and then. As we don't book any excursions until we are there i'm just thinking we may not be back in time from an excursion one day or be too tired to dine a la carte when we get back and if we pre-book I wouldn't want to let the restaurant down by just not turning up???

Not having been to the Ambar before or any Bahia Principe hotels we're not sure what's the best thing to do, plus we know there are lots and lots of restaurants spread throughout the Bahia resort and don't know which to choose. I think you can have as many a la cartes as you want (we are there for 2 weeks).

Any advice would be gladly received! Is it best to pre-book and then try and change once we're there or do you think we will be OK waiting until we get there? Honest opinions please?!

Many thanks

Caroline :-)

Tequesta, Florida
Destination Expert
for Puerto Aventuras, Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,764 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

This time of year you certainly can wait until your arrival to obtain your a la carte reservations, although many guests prefer to submit their requests in advance, especially during peak winter season and the year-end holidays.

Since you will be there for two weeks, you will have ample opportunity to make reservations and dine around the complex. FYI - the resort-wide seafood gala buffet is now every Tuesday (it adds grilled halves of Caribbean spiny lobster as well as crab legs, etc. to the regular buffet selections). You can also choose to dine more-than once at the same a la carte if you so desire (we found the Don Pablo gourmet venue at the Ambar to be the Gran Bahia's best).

Hope this helps!

Baltimore, Maryland
Level Contributor
510 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

If you will be staying for two weeks you will have plenty of time to visit each of the a'la cartes at least once. Most folks give the Ambar buffet great reviews, so if you do come back late from an excursion or miss your reservation, you can always head to the Palmyra buffet. As far as which restaurants to choose, Don Pablo and Garden Grill are a must for most guests. It doesn't get many mentions but I have always had a good meal and great service at El Pescador. I haven't tried any of the Esmeralda restaurants as of yet, but they have been getting great reviews as well.

Being that this is your first time in the DR I would like to make a suggestion. It may be too late to book, but you might want to consider trying to book an excursion with Punta Cana Mike. Easily the best excursion that I have booked in my travels to the DR. You will get to see the real side of the DR that most tours will not explore and truly gain a wealth of knowledge and appreciation for the country. http://www.puntacanamike.com/

Bahia Principe is a great resort. I have visited this resort three times and will be returning for my fourth trip this December. Enjoy your trip and be sure to try the Mamajuana and Brugal! ;)

Edited: 16 August 2013, 14:51
Bowness-on-Windermer...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

thanks - great help!

:-)

Brooklin, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
13,104 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

FunkyFarm,

As stated by the previous posters, the aspect of being able to prebook their a la cartes is simply a feature the Bahia resorts offer to all guests at any of the Bahia resorts. Actually it is one of three options you have as a guest of the Bahia Ambar.

The first option is to prebook (details of which are listed at this link:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k64951…

The second option is to book your a la cartes no later than the first morning ofter your arrival with the Guest Services staff located in the main lobby of the Ambar resort.

The third option is to advise your butler to make the a la carte bookings for you. You must request the "butler" service at the time you check in (included in the price of your all inclusive).

At the time you are travelling to Punta Cana, I would well expect that you would not have any issues with a la cartes being fully booked after you arrived and therefore should be able to book your a la cartes on arrival.

Hope this does help - have a wonderful vacation in Punta Cana.

John

Brooklin (Bubba King)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
567 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

No need to pre-book, but certainly much easier.When we went 2 years ago we pre-booked and got exactly the nights and even the times we requested and also had a birthday cake for one of our travelling companions at the Don Pablo. Loved it there and will be booking again this week for next March...

Bowness-on-Windermer...
Level Contributor
36 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

Again many thanks for all your help, especially john who is a fountain of all knowledge!

Kindest regards

Caroline :-)

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

I think if you are only going for a week it might be important, we always go for at least 2 because of time traveling but we did book them anyway and when we got there we changed them all except one! lol

For the most part we prefer to eat in the Buffet as more choices we like. In 3 weeks we only went to 4 A la Cartes in the end but we had been before in anycase.

Apparently now you have to book the Gala night which is on Tuesday's so worth noting.

8. Re: Do we need to pre-book restaurants at the AMBAR??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2014, 05:18