We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Punta Cana Duty Free

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Slough, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Topic
Punta Cana Duty Free

Hi

Hopefully somebody can help sort out my confusion.

I am flying to Punta Cana from London Gatwick and I am wanted to buy duty free in the way of cigarettes and rolling tobacco.

I want some to take out there to use whilst I am holiday but also want to bring some home. Do I buy them in Gatwick before I leave? On the flight? In the Duty Free at Punta Cana Airport Arrivals? In Punta Cana Town?

Also when travelling back can I buy duty free in Punta Cana Departures. I am a bit confused with how Duty Free works because I know when flying with the EU from the UK you can not buy duty free on the way out.

Any help on the Duty Free saga would be much appreciated .

Thank you

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

If you want your favourite British brand I suggest you buy it at Gatwick. Although I don't smoke I found the stuff at the Punta Cana duty free store is targeted towards Americans.

Level Contributor
189 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

I asked about this. What i got back was best to buy on plane on way out. Rolling hard to get hold of over there. So we are buying on plane. Please leave some on board for us thanks x

essex
Level Contributor
104 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

Buy on the plane as it is cheaper than airport £44 ish for 400, not sure about tobacco

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

Buy on the plane or in Gatwick,

Duty free in Punta Cana is a JOKE.

NBF
Burlington, Canada
Level Contributor
867 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

I agree with hlywud the Duty Free in Punta Cana is a joke mainly because of the prices. When I was there is March 2013 I didn't buy anything, because of the prices.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
221 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

There is actually a small duty free shop at Punta Cana airport right by the baggage claim area...you will pass it right before exiting the airport upon your arrival. I don't know if they will have what you need. However, cigarettes are not expensive if you buy them e.g. at any of the local supermarkets.

When you depart, there are at least two big duty free stores at the airport...

Erieau, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
14,843 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

Duty free in Punta Cana as I said is an absolute joke, you can buy at a super mercados, cheaper, Cigs and booze particularly....so my advice is forget the duty free buy at Home airport or on the plane...

Slough, United...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

Thank you all some much for your replies

so can I buy how ever much I like on the plane o take in to Punta Cana or is there a limit?

I know there is a limit when returning to the uk.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,090 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

WUD, how much are cigs at the super mercados?

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Punta Cana Duty Free

In my experience they are definitely cheaper to buy at the PC Duty Free. Supermarket $30-$40 - Duty Free often have offers as low as $20-

PC Duty Free for Cigs and Booze isn't bad at all so do not understand the earlier comments.