We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
colorado
Level Contributor
68 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

We are heading to Punta Cana in January, and after debating between the Ambar and Colonial Club, finally decided on the Colonial. I had noticed some comments about people getting sick from the food at Colonial a few months ago, but then read more about it and hoped it was a one-time thing or maybe even fake reviews. But there are more of these reviews AGAIN in the past days/weeks. Some could be (and sound like) fakes, but even some people who rated 4 stars mention getting sick. Any thoughts? Should we switch to Ambar? There don't seem to be any recent negatives about the food there. Just worried about going and being sick the whole time...

Grand Falls...
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

Don't worry about getting sick. If you are going to worry about that all while your there you should stay home because your not going to enjoy the holiday anyway. I am going to Majestic Colonial in the Spring and I'm sure it will be great. Yes maybe a few people will be sick at the Colonial at some point and then next month people will be sick at another resort, and so on and so on. Things happen, and believe me most of the time those people who are complaining about being sick probably brought it on themselves. Too much booze, too much sun, too much food.........probably not enough keeping their hands cleaned or drinking enough water. Everything is good in moderation. Some people forget to pack their brain and common sense when going on holidays. You just relax, maybe read a few less reviews and enjoy your holiday in January.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
24,104 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

at every hotel there are at All Times sick people, that's normal, as for example a certain percentage of visitors even arrives in the country sick, the same as people get sick at home and are missing on work for some days.

Sickness??

so do the reviews state a specific illness at a specific resort?

or is it just some reviws where guests mention that they had a upset tummy, which is absolutely normal when traveling to a foreign country in a very different climate than the one at home, additionally withy different provided foodies/spices/drinkets etc, but such has nothing to do with any sickness, it is just upset stommacks and many people traveling abroad get that for a day or two, i get such often myself when traveling to the USA or to Europe(and i am born and raised in europe), as soon as we hit our body with a very different climate plus different food incredients plus very different drinks(specially the supertasty fruity drinks are killers if consumed in quantities) plus in most cases much higher consumation of alcohol than used to from daily behaviors back at home. it lasts for just some hours or for a day, maybe even two, then it is gone, without medications of course(medications like immodiums etc can in such cases have very negative effects and lead to longer lasting troubles of a basically harmless thingy, due wrong medications) and all is fine again. some people feel it heftyfor a day, for others it is just something felt very light and not too bothersome.

in case of a sickness, that would be something different and at a mass meeting point like a AI Resort such would spread very quick and effect most of the guests there, but then we would find dozens of such sickness reviews within a couple days and the doctor's place at such resort would be overfilled.

happy travels

Mike

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

@OP-It is true that most of these resorts seem to go through a phase of "mystery sickness" from time to time.

That being said, it doesn't matter what anyone says here, if you are not comfy with your choice, switch. Does it guarantee an illness free holiday? No. Anyone can get sick anywhere at anytime given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances. Do what you need to do to keep your peace of mind.

Princeton, New...
Level Contributor
2 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

I went to majestic colonial and the food wasn't horrible. It actually helped my digestive system if u get my drift! Keep in mind it is hard to provide 5* food service when cooking meals for thousands of people!

London UK
Level Contributor
2,448 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

Been to both, didn't get sick at either but prefer Ambar. More A la Cartes, better Buffet and generally more to do as you can use the other parts of the complex.

I did prefer the rooms at MC though.

You shouldn't expect to get sick on holiday - not at these places anyway. I wonder if many people who overdo it are confusing issues - overindulgence is not really the same as being sick, but we all overdo things a bit on holiday.

I find the food at these places on the whole very conservative, not to spicy but wholesome and generally good.

Edited: 19 August 2013, 09:09
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,864 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

I would not go too much by what others say about the food. Read carefully and you can determine alot about what they say. For instance one person complained becasue they use no seasoning including salt, and the next person says the food was too salty! And one of the others says the best meal they had was at the food court at the airport. That statement says alot to me about their taste in food. And as for the orders being wrong - I know alot of times the meal comes out not looking like what we have at home and people say it's not what they ordered when in fact it is what they ordered. It just is different then what they may be use to.

We have been to the sister resort 3 times now and although the food is not top restaurant quality we didn't expect an AI to be. But neither was the food terrible nor did we ever go hungry. Was there some meals we didn't like - sure. But that can happen at any restaurant anywheres.

Nazareth...
Level Contributor
167 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

Our family of 4 was there last week and I got "sick". Not bed ridden, stay in bed all day long sick, but my digestive system was off enough that doses of Imodium weren't doing the trick and I had to go to the pharmacy for medication. The other 3 made it thru with little, if any, effects. So go figure.

I'll post a review soon, but like others have mentioned in this thread, I wouldn't worry about it too much, particularly with so many months to go.

Bottom line - anywhere or time when you have 1,000+ guests and a couple hundred staff, from around the globe, with different customs, cultures and hygiene habits there are going to be bugs, germs, bacteria and viruses floating around. The great majority of them your body will fight off without you even knowing it.

Outside of the discomfort and inconvenience I encountered, we had a great time, its a beautiful beach and the staff is incredibly nice.

8. Re: Reviews about sickness/food at Majestic Colonial?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2014, 07:20