We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

We will be travelling to Club Med Punta Cana and want to find out:

1) What is the currency exchange rate and do we need Dominican Pesos or are US dollars accepted in all establishments such as shopping, restaurant, tips, etc.

2) We would like to go shopping for one day in Punta Cana and would like to know if there are any shopping plazas or stores in between the Punta Cana airport and Club Med or nearby.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
819 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Not sure of the currency rate. US money is accepted everywhere. I'm not sure where club med is, but there is a Palma real and San Juan shopping center and there is shopping in the plaza bavaro and all around it. At the plaza bavaro area you will haggle prices, at the shopping centers the prices are fixed. Nothing to keep me shopping for a day. What are you looking to buy?

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Nothing specific in mind other than T shirts.

Club Med, I believe is Southeast of the airport and only 4 km away so it may be the closest all inclusive to the airport - never been there so not sure but just looking at the maps, this is what I see.

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

I just checked and all the shopping places you pointed out are 15+ km North of the airport. I am surprised there are none? in Punta Cana per say since those 3 are in the Bavaro area.

Thanks.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
819 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Sorry, just looked at the map, you sure are close to the airport! There must be something down there as there are other resorts! Good luck! Happy vacation!

Bavaro, Dominican...
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Closest to your resort is Punta Cana village with a selection of small boutique shops, supermarket and restaurants just minutes away from the airport.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,916 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

And leave it to a local lady to know where to shop Where would we be without them? I wish I could be of more help with shopping. Some of the resorts have vendors come on a weekly basis on to a property to sell their wares but they can be aggressive sometimes.

If I can add to the nice lady's knowledge, have been told that La Reina (one of the shops in Bavaro Plaza) will pick you up at your resort and drop you back so you can shop a bit. Also Don Lucas will do the same.

Or you can always pick up a few things at the Airport's duty free shop if you really do not feel like going anywhere.

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Thanks for the info Who is Don Lucas and how to get a hold of him? Can someone confirm about the store picking you up and taking you back and a phone number or way to get a hold of the store?

THanks.

Punta Cana...
Level Contributor
12,971 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

Club Med is located in a very upscale residential area, thus shopping for t-shirts and such really do not go with the surroundings.

If you wish to do everything at once, I would recommend Mundo Atentico (Don Lucas Cigars). Aside from the obvious (cigars) they have most of what tourists are looking for and there is no pressure to buy anything. They provide a complimentary shuttle from your resort

https:/…donlucascigarspuntacana

Cheers

PuntaCana Mike

Lakeland, Florida
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

What is the best way to call them to get transportation?

Do I need to get a local cell phone that works in the Dominican Republic? My cell phone company's rates are quite high to use in the country.

10. Re: Shopping Plaza in Punta Cana & Currency Exchange

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 07:20