We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused about punta cana all inclusives

8 posts
Save Topic
confused about punta cana all inclusives

This might be confusing.

I'm used to going to sandals, everyone there is treated the same.

were looking for a resort in punta cana and I keep seeing "upgrade to premium" in the all inclusive resorts....can you please help me understand. or even point out some hotels that are as nice as sandals where all inclusive is all inclusive and everyone is treated the same, same brand drinks same restaurants same service....

thanks!

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

Welcome to the insanity! Why not hop on this thread tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k67729…

Also, why not tell us what you are looking for specifically and folks here will try and help you out. Budget will help if you care to share.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
13,370 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

The resorts are as lovely as any Sandals, and many include much more in the basic rates than Sandals resorts. Think of the "upgrade" or "preferred" sections as similar to concierge or butler level rooms at Sandals, which include many more perks-including things not available to "regular" guests. Been to many a Sandals, and what is included does vary by room type: room service, reserved seating, some restaurants included (extra charge for non-butler), booze in the room, etc., far from everyone having the same amenities or service.

The AI resorts in PC are the same sort of thing - upgraded or preferred rooms have some extra perks people are willing to pay for: room location, higher levels of booze, maybe another restaurant or pool option, etc. Service across the board is excellent regardless of which level you stay in, food is delicious, etc. Same sort of thing as Sandals - some people are willing to pay more for more perks.

8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

thanks for the thread!

we are looking for a good place for about 10 people some couples some singles no children.

we just want to hang out in the pool, on the beach and drink and eat good. were not rowdy so nightlife isn't really that big of a deal. we don't like big crowds either. I don't want to fight my way for a drink.

thanks for the help!

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

Excellence or Breathless. Breathless isn't open yet. It's slated to open November 15. Excellence has 8 a la carte restaurants. It looks like Breathless will have a similar amount. In both cases, no reservations required. Both are adult only. Breathless is advertised as less couples oriented. Both would be most like your Sandals experience, I think.

Mark

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

Way to beat that Excellance drum!

Ever been to a Sandals resort Mark?

Edited: 20 August 2013, 01:40
Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
6,100 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

Start looking at different resorts. you will find many as nice or nicer than sandals. at most resorts all are treated the same. some just have an extra club to use.

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

You are very welcome. Mark is right that those are the only two resorts that have no one under 18 on the premises. There are other resorts that have AO sections. Here is another thread listing them

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k60147…

But while the buildings, amenities and pools are AO as well as a separate section of the beach, the kiddies are in the ocean and you cannot section THAT off. For some, it is an issue, for others, seeing the occasional kiddie is not a big deal. You'd have to decide what is important to you.

Excellence (EPC) is a great spot. I went there a few times and did not have a problem getting drinks and the food was pretty good and definitely better than many AI's out there. That being said, Gourmet food and AI resorts are not synonymous as the kitchens have to cook for the masses. Best bet I think is to find a place with plenty of dining options, which increases the odds of you finding food that appeals to you. EPC has 8, Breathless I think will have 8 or 9. Both do not require reservations The Bahia Ambar, which is where we are going, has 3 sister resorts on the property that we can share amenities with and I think there are 8 or 9 there too. The fact it is huge I guess is why they DO want reservations but to me it is not a big deal. To others, it is.

EPC beach has rough water but I found it great for using a boogie board. The pool, which is lazy river style, is AWESOME! Breathless will probably be somewhat similar as it is being built in the same vicinity. The Amber is supposed to be wavy but probably calmer. Here is another thread about calm water where our Mike Fisher gives a good explanation about how that works. tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147293-i28-k662147…

It is remote, being about one hour from the airport but the new road may have cut that commute down a bit by now. Still, the advantage is that only the resort guests are on the beach-no other resorts within a mile or more are in that area. VERY COOL.

It's hard to choose when dealing with a group because everyone likes different things but folks will help you out here and point you in a good direction.

Still, based on what I know and what you tell me, EPC may be a good fit for you.

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
10,243 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

Yes, kdsmith, but it was quite a while ago. Some of my family have been to multiple Sandals resorts more recently, and they prefer both Secrets and Excellence resorts.

Mark

Sag Harbor, New York
Level Contributor
5,946 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

@Kidsmith-I know it was not directed to me but since I have been to a Sandals I thought to reply. Really nice place with plenty of options. I'd go back at some point. Size wise you cannot compare the two resorts but EPC could fit the poster's needs, as perhaps a few other resorts. I pretty sure others will chime in. How about you? Any ideas?

Ellicott City MD
Level Contributor
2,914 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confused about punta cana all inclusives

Since the DR doesn't have any Sandals resorts. ...yet....I won't make a suggestion.

I have my favorite but until a specific resort has been asked about ...I don't promote.

Not knowing exactly what the OP wants and trying to compare it to a resort chain that does not exist on the island is pointless.

The one thing about Sandals is exceptional food for an AI.

That being said.... we all know how "hit or miss" the food in the DR can be.

What one person deems as the "best" resort for the needs of someone else is just about as pointless and bordering on promotion