We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

So my daughter and I had such a great time for 12 days in Punta Cana in June, that we'd like to return in December with some more people. I learned after being there that looking at weather reports was truly a waste of time since according to weather.com it would rain daily and instead it was BEAUTIFUL each and every day.

Our love of Punta Cana was specifically the calm, warm, turquoise water. Can someone local please tell me how much cooler the water temp and/or choppy the water will be in late December (12/20-12/31). I love the beach, but am not a fan of cold water and realize it will be cooler in the winter, but how much cooler will decide if we return at that time of the year.

I would guess the water in June was about 82 degrees based on how comfortable it was. Any help would be super appreciated before we book our next vacation.

Thank you so much everyone and have a great day,

Jacky

Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

Oh pretty please if anyone can give me insight to water temps in late December, I'd be eternally grateful.

We've vacationed in many many destinations, but have fallen in love with DR and want to head back. The water temp will help me solidify if that is a good time of the year (since we are in the water ALL day) to come for a return trip.

Thank you,

Jacky

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Punta Cana
Level Contributor
9,949 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

I've been in mid-December, just before Christmas. I don't know what the temperature of the water was, but I found it quite comfortable. Not so in the Mayan Riviera, as a comparison. Cuba was downright frigid in November when I was there.

Mark

Arizona
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

Mark,

I am so super grateful for your response. I have tried posting this a few times and no one seems to want to correspond with me.....gonna give me a complex soon LOL In June when we were there, the water was beyond perfect and amazing. If it cools down too much for Xmas then I was going to find a new hotspot for winter and return to DR in June again.

I totally respect that weather is unpredictable, but I'd assume that water temps are known by locals and people very familiar with the area.

Thank you again,

Jacky

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
13,833 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

LOL Jacky, the title to your thread seemed like you only wanted to hear from Mike Fisher,,, good one to ask LOL.

The temps of the ocean are only a few degrees different from June to December... August the ocean is really warm.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

Jacky,

We usually go Jan/Feb and find the water is fine to swim, play, paddle, or just hang out having fun.

Although winter it's def not " wintry" conditions as we know it here in UK....... still lovely, warm and sunny but more comfortable at night due to less humidity.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,783 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

There is a difference between summer and winter temperatures. Many Dominicans will say it is too cold to swim in winter. For any northern visitor the temperature will be fine in winter.

Washington DC
Level Contributor
627 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

We normally visit in October, but have visited in August and December. The water temp. didn't seem too different to us, but the air temp, humidity and breeze did seem to change.

All in all, we found the water to be pleasantly warm and quite delightful.

Traveler

UK
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

Hi Jacky

I use this site:

http://www.weather2travel.com/

weather2travel.com/climate-guides/dominican-…

Enter your destination, then select the ''View weather by month' option to get the table.

The average water temperature for December is shown as 81°, compared with a high of 84° in the late summer months and low of 79° in Jan/Feb. Unless local knowledge suggests otherwise, that's still pretty warm (we went in October and the sea was like a warm bath).

How warm the water feels could depend on the weather and the sea conditions. You'll see from other posts that for calm waters and a protected beach it's best to opt for a hotel at the southern part of the coastline.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
6,383 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

<< I have tried posting this a few times and no one seems to want to correspond with me.....gonna give me a complex soon LOL>>

I expect no one wanted to answer when you only asked Mike Fisher. Then when you reposted some of us came to see what he said. Which was nothing. LOL

I can tell you pool and beach temps are much better here than in MexRiv/Cancun this time of year.

Niagara Falls, On
Level Contributor
54 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: A water temp question for insiders to DR....Mike Fisher :)

Attended a wedding for a week in Nov 2011 at the Bahai resort. The ocean water was very warm at that time.

John