We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

Which Punta Cana hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Annandale, Virginia
9 posts
Save Topic
Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

I will be traveling to Punta Cana next week (Sanctuary Cap Cana), and I have some questions.

1) I have heard about the water quality in DR, and was recommended that we don't drink tap water, but to always drink bottled water. Some even say to brush teeth using bottled water. I will be drinking bottled water, but the fact that some brush their teeth with bottled water - is the water quality that bad in DR? I will be traveling with a toddler, and I am sure she will accidentally swallow water every day when we bath her.

2) My doc said basically to only eat cooked foods (no raw fruit unless I peel it my self, no salads), to be safe. This seems quite extreme. I know that I can have raw fruits and vegetables at my discretion, but I'd like to hear your opinion on this - are really raw fruits & vegetables that dangerous to eat there? Again, it will be up to me to decide what I would eat, but I'm thinking ahead since I will be bringing my toddler with me.

Many thanks in advance!

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,091 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

AYU - Wehn I traveled to Punta Cana a few years ago, I brushed my teeth with the water and was fine. Again, that's something you can very easily use bottled water for just to be safe.

As far as the fruits and salads, I ate both and was fine. I think that is a bit extreme as well. Most resorts are conscious enough not to use tap water when preparing foods for guests.

Silver Spring...
Destination Expert
for Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
7,782 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

Most resorts do take care to use filtered water in the kitchen. Common sense needs to be used. Do not drink the water. The Baby will need to be watched to avoid injesting the water, you don't need a ruined holiday with a sick baby. Bottled water is plentiful.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

We have never had a problem with showering or even brushing our teeth with tap water, just don't swallow it. We have never been sick in many visits to many resorts/ bars/ areas. We did hear upon our return this time that two people were treated while there for a parasite, given injections and such to clear up and that it was due to veggies/ fruits washed in tap water. They were from the same resort but I don't know that to be anything more than hearsay. So take precautions of course, if you are eating cooked or peeled foods or drinking water/ ice from the bars you will be fine. The water is not treated like at home and our bodies do not fight bugs the same way if we are not accustomed. Again, no one I know has ever been ill from anything more than too much fun or sun! Remember, the resorts don't want you sick either!

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

The water they use in the restaurants is fine as well even though they pour it from a pitcher. I did notice alot of people demanding bottled water in the buffet and restaurants which they will get for you but it is more of a hassle for them.

Cornwall, Canada
Level Contributor
4,007 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

We too drank the water poured in our glasses in the restaurants at our resort, and ate salad - no tummy issues at all. We did use only bottled water to brush our teeth, and were careful about water in our mouths in the shower. Maybe too much precaution, but that is just us. If it was me, I too would be watchful of your toddler in the bath...

We also took probiotics before we left in order to promote "good" bacteria in the face of "bad" - an idea for adults anyway.

Enjoy your trip :)

On
Level Contributor
3,421 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

I brush with tap water and eat the fresh fruit and veggies, salad included and 10 or so trips have never had an issue

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
4,610 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

<<<I did notice alot of people demanding bottled water in the buffet and restaurants which they will get for you but it is more of a hassle for them.>>>

..................................................................................................................................................

We too saw a lot of this at dinner, and it held up a lot of us at the Japanese dinner as well b/cw e all had to wait. Wish people would research a little before acting like such a fool... we always drink the water poured and I am usually parched after the walk and drink the whole first glass!

Sosua, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Sosua, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
17,084 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

IN the DR:

Do NOT drink the tap water. To be safe use it for brushing your teeth as well.

All foods, ice and drinks are prepared with purified water so no worry there. Water served at the table from a pitcher is purified as well.

If you are off the resort any Ice or food prep you come in contact with (tourist areas) will be done with purified water.

IF buying veggies or fruit off the street then to be safe eat only those you can peel

If you follow these suggestions you will not have a problem related to water.

BObK

Annandale, Virginia
9 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

Thank you very much, everyone, for your advice/opinions. Very helpful. It seems I need to be very mindful and cautious with the water, but as far as fruits/Vegetables within the resort, it should be safe.

Many thanks again!

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
59,677 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions - Water, Fruit, Vegetables

Have a great time as Sanctuary is a beautiful resort